Friday, February 6, 2015

Killing Your Own Perspective: Writing YA as a Not-So-Y A

The first and most vital step in my editing process for The Ripple Effect, my YA novel set in contemporary Ireland, has taken place: I have opened the feedback from my beta readers for the first time since I received it. I have re-read everything, closed it rapidly and retreated a safe distance from the computer to hyperventilate with a cup of tea (lemon and ginger at the moment, fyi - also to clarify, when I say 'with a cup of tea' I am hyperventilating while holding the tea; it is not a charming group activity the tea and I undertake together.) (This is my brain on edits).

Because The Ripple Effect handles some major issues and because I dislike teen books with absent parents (unless the absence is adequately explained and makes sense in the context of the world of the novel), the main character's parents play a role in what happens. Weirdly, that has proven the hardest thing for me to handle in writing the book and in planning the edits.

My own parents had me slightly later in life - not crazy late, but my dad was married twice, so although I was born in 1984, I grew up with parents who remembered the 1950s. My dad remembered the 1940s, although only from the perspective of a child. I have grandparents who were born before women had the vote. I enjoyed having slightly older parents who had done interesting things (including providing me with cool half-siblings) before I rocked up - I remember finding it strange as a child when I discovered that other kids in my class had parents who were still in their 20s, even though I was more the odd one out than they were.

My brain is wired to think of parenthood as a thirtysomething sort of endeavour - although I know lots of people who had kids sooner and I don't believe there is an 'ideal age' for parenthood, ever - but my default setting is that kids happen after everything else is done (if at all). This isn't appropriate for every character, though, and I'm working to unpick these ingrained ideas and adapt each family's timeline to suit the lives that they would realistically choose to live.

Discovering all of these biases has been interesting, but more interesting is the sheer amount of chronological leaps that it has forced me into. My main character, Nina, is less than half my age (I'm 31, she is 15). But Nina's parents aren't necessarily just 16 years younger than mine. For Nina, the 1950s aren't just one generation away - they're two. Her parents are closer to my age than she is. Her parents may have actually bought Bananarama records, although thankfully this has not yet proven plot-critical. And crap - I just realised they most likely bought Banamarama cassettes. The gap is bigger than 16 years. It's as big as the entire cultural framework that surrounds us, the events that were pivotal to our families and ourselves.

Nina can't ask her parents where they were when they heard that Kennedy had been shot.

I love YA. It may be my favourite genre to read - it's fast becoming my joint-favourite genre to write. I don't know if this is in spite of the thinking it's forcing me to unpick, or because of it.








2 comments:

  1. It's so important to unpack our own biases and write from a more clear perspective. :-)

    That's the great thing about a genre that allows you, or even forces you, to see past the expected and into something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is something you have to be mindful of!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!