Friday, January 9, 2015

2015 initialising. . . .

Every year since I started this blog, my goal for the year has been to get published. Some years, it was to get fucking published, depending on how unhappy I was in January and how much I felt I needed the endorsement of a kindly publisher to smile upon this thing I have done with my life on and off since I was five years old.

But that isn't entirely under my control, so I always tried to set some goals I could control - finish this novel, edit that one, query this or that. For several of the years I have been blogging, I couldn't possibly have achieved my goal because I didn't have anything that I felt was ready to query. 

So with the understanding that my semi-secret, heartfelt goal for 2015 is to get published, here's what I'm hoping to achieve:

  • Fully edit my contemporary YA novel, The Ripple Effect, identify agents and publishers who may like it, and query.
  • Write the first draft of my next novel, which will be women's fiction/comedy. Although I have a very dark sense of humour sometimes, so a foray into writing comedy novels might be nice for me but terrifying for the rest of the world.
  • Decide what to do with The Soldiers of Bruges. The Soldiers of Bruges is a very odd novel, and I say that as someone whose most serious and sensible novel so far was about a London Irish family who could curse their enemies. The premise is complex and I have literally no idea how to even begin writing a query letter for such a bizarre book. When I read an extract of it at Dalkey Creates, one of the writers present suggested it might make a good one-woman stage show. I've never written anything like that before, but the idea of it is exciting and I love trying new forms and genres, so that is worth exploring. We'll see how that goes, but I like some aspects of the novel a lot so I would like to do something with it.
It should be a challenging year, but hopefully also a fun one. 

What are you guys thinking of going in 2015?






2 comments:

  1. Wow, a stage show would be very cool! There's a lot you could do with Soldiers that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to finish read throughs of my own manuscript- I finished it, had it edited, but certain things got involved and I haven't touched it in awhile. Fresh eyes might be what I need for it after such a time away.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!