Friday, December 26, 2014

East of Yang Pass, With Love


It is the day after Christmas. In Ireland, we call it St. Stephen's Day - but I shouldn't say 'we', because my family call it Boxing Day, and hating people who call it Boxing Day could be called one of the last acceptable prejudices in Irish society.

My mother bought me a copy of The True Secret of Writing, by Natalie Goldberg, in which Goldberg quotes the work of the poet Wang Wei.

Seeing Off Yuan The Second On A Mission To Anxi

At Weicheng morning rain has dampened light dust,
By the hostel, the willows are fresh and green,
I urge my friend to drink a last cup of wine;
West of Yang Pass, there will be no friends.

I am blessed to live my life east of Yang Pass. A belated merry Christmas to everyone celebrating, a happy 26th December to everyone not, and a wonderful 2015.

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, hope you've had a good one and Happy New Year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum was very good at calling it St. Stephen's day while she was here. We may have only slipped once or twice. :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! Well done to your mum - I've lived here all my life and can't stop calling it Boxing Day!

      Delete

I love comments!