Tuesday, February 5, 2013

11 Facts, 11 Questions

Paul Anthony Shortt tagged me in this game, so I'll play :)


Here are the rules for receiving this award:
1. Each person may post 11 things about themselves. *
2. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs!
6. Post an image of the award on your blog. There are many versions available. 


11 Facts about me:


  1. I have small hands. Finding gloves to fit me is a nightmare :)
  2. I love flea markets. When I visit a new city I always like to see their flea markets.
  3. I have very bad eyesight - thank God for contact lenses!
  4. I share a birthday with Eva Braun, Ronald Reagan, Bob Marley and Axl Rose.
  5. I have a crippling, intense, severe phobia of hedgehogs. I can't even look at pictures of them.
  6. My first job was working in a cafe in the town I used to live in. A cup of tea was 70p, a coffee was 80p, and a Scone Special (a tea or coffee with a scone served with jam and cream) was £1 (€1.27). Best deal ever, right?
  7. I have sold school uniforms, answered directory enquiry calls, sold broadband, managed interpreters, served burgers in a 50s-theme diner, promoted discounts on toll roads, handed out bags of products to new mums outside a maternity hospital and worked in the kitchen of a four-star hotel (briefly).
  8. I stopped biting my nails when I was 26. It was not pleasant but I only get the occasional urge these days!
  9. My signature recipe is cheese and herb scones.
  10. I don't eat tomatoes or mayonnaise. My sandwich orders are kind of like Sally Albright's.
  11. I once made a chocolate cake with only one tablespon of flour in it. It was fabulous.
11 Questions from Paul:
  1. What movie do you secretly love? I don't think I secretly love any movies - I'm open about my taste!- but I love John Hughes's teen movies.
  2. If you could travel to any place in the world, where would it be? Vietnam.
  3. When you were a child, what was your dream job? Writer, although I went through phases of wanting to be an air hostess, an actress and a doctor.
  4. What was your favourite childhood toy? I can't remember.
  5. Do you have any hobbies that don't involve reading, writing, or that don't involve the internet? Yes! I knit, I bake, I make jewellery, I sew and I'm always trying to learn crochet and failing miserably. I love working with my hands.
  6. Do you have a lifelong dream? To be a published writer and to travel the world. I'm working on them both.
  7. When did you come to realise it? I can't remember, I think I always knew!
  8. What tv show could you watch over and over? Arrested Development.
  9. What one part of modern living could you not live without? The internet. I never get tired of having access to so much information and so many awesome people. I can message my cousin in Manhattan, my schoolfriend in Egypt and find out what time the bakery opens, all at the same time.
  10. What one part of modern living would you love to live without? Cars - although not entirely. I'd like it to be like the 20s, when they were a select thing owned by enthusiasts and people who needed them, used for long journeys and at weekends. I think they're killing modern cities and reshaping our landscape in ways I don't like. I'm with Douglas Adams's character, Ford Prefect - he came to earth convinced cars were the dominant species. I can drive, but I'd prefer to live in a world where I didn't have to do it very often.
  11. What book or movie are you most looking forward to in 2013? Sarah Rees Brennan's Untold. The first book in the Lynburn Legacy, Unspoken, was released in 2012 and was one of my favourite books of the year.
I've been inactive in the blogosphere for so long that I'm not going to tag people who may not see this - all I will say is, if you want to play, please go ahead, post 11 facts about yourself and answer my questions!

1. What's your starsign? Do you believe in horoscopes? Do you think you're 'typical' of your sign?
2. What is your favourite place on earth?
3. If you could have one wish, and it had to be something for you rather than for the whole of humankind, what would it be?
4. Are politics important to you?
5. Tell me in one line why I - or anyone else - should visit your hometown?
6. What's the nicest sweet thing you've ever eaten? Bonus points if you tell me where I can get it :)
7. If you had another lifetime, what job would you like to have?
8. How old would you think you were if you didn't know how old you are?
9. What book would you bring to a desert island, presuming you already had a Bible and the Complete Works of Shakespeare?
10. If the world was facing destruction and you could only save one artefact from our civilisation, what would it be?
11. Do you like your name?

8 comments:

  1. Your facts were interesting. A hedgehog fear? I won't ask. Mine is snakes.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes are understandable, Shelly! I have no idea where my hedgehog fear came from!

      Delete
  2. Man, I want to try that chocolate cake!

    Oh, my answer to your 9: I would bring "How To Get Off A Desert Island Using Only The Bible And The Complete Works Of Shakespeare"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you will. Trust me.

      That's a damned good book. I hope someone writes it before you get marooned.

      Delete
    2. That sounds vaguely like a threat... :-0

      Delete
  3. Hi, I found your blog through the A to Z Challenge site. :-)

    I'm with you on the crochet thing. I taught myself to knit without too many tears, but no matter how many books and guides for crochet I buy, I still just can't get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was alone in hating tomatoes AND mayonnaise. (Actually, I don't hate tomatoes any more, but my brain is so convinced that I hate them that more often than not I just can't bring myself to do it. Weird?)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!