Thursday, December 20, 2012

Where am I at? - A Catch-Up Post

This has been a sproadic year for blogging.

There are a few reasons for that. My day job has kept me busy and this year I attended four weddings, only one of which was in greater Dublin (they were all excellent) so there was a lot more travelling than usual. With one thing and another, I found myself very short on free time.

But I also got tired of blogging.

I started blogging in 2009 as an unpublished writer, and it's now almost 2013 and I'm still an unpublished writer.I haven't even started to query, because I haven't yet produced something that I feel is quite strong enough to query - although I'm really happy with the first draft of The Curse of the Carberrys and I'm hoping to query the edited version in the New Year.

So I'm OK with my ongoing unpublished status, but it is leaving me with very little to say here on the blog.

You guys all know about my tendancy towards fictional arson, my Nanowrimo evangelism, my love of Dorothy Parker. I've even told you about the Diffney quiz! I could keep posting about starting small fires, reaching 50,000 words or all the girls at the Yale Prom being laid end-to-end and Dorothy Parker's resultant lack of surprise, but you guys know how I feel about all of those things.

The other reason why I've been quiet lately is because I have been writing a lot. I know, shocking, huh? Too busy writing to update my writing blog :) I have a few works-in-progress at the moment and I'm looking forward to the Christmas break from my day job so I can get a decent run at a few of them.

That's where I am. I've missed the connections I've made through blogging, and I've missed checking in with all the fabulous bloggers I really like, but I am short on things to say. I am hoping that will change when I embark on my first ever querying journey - but I have to edit the book first! I got some great comments from my beta-readers (even if two of them disagree passionately on one point and I can't decide who to listen to!) and I'm excited to incorporate them and make my book better.

I'm also excited to take the next step and start putting my work out into the world in 2013. I hope to be popping up here and saying hi more often next year.

Happy holidays and a happy 2013 :D

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on writing and approaching the query stage. I have just recently begun my venture into writing again after 30 years of quiet. I will take energy and encouragement in your progress! Have a wonderful 2013, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you're still at it.

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to know you're still around writing, Ellen. Have a wonderful Xmas and all the best in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you well for Christmas and lets hope it'll be a wonderful 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with the quering.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!