Friday, October 12, 2012

Nano in Numbers

Some Nanowrimo stats that might surprise you!

1999: 21 participants, 6 winners.
2011: 256,618 participants, 36,843 winners.

There are over 500 official Nano chapters worldwide.

Last year Dublin alone produced over 5.5 million words. I can't tell you how proud I am to be Co-ML for this region - not only productive, but the local Wrimos are lovely.

The total word count for Nanowrimo 2011 was 3,074,068,446.

Want to be a part of it? Contact me by email (firstname dot lastname at gmail dot com) or find me on nanowrimo.org where I'm known as nycelle.

4 comments:

  1. I did Camp NaNo in August. Didn't win though. Got a migraine instead toward the end.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a migraine (my first!) in the middle of Nano 2011. Luckily it happened halfway through so I had lots of time to recover my word count - if it had happened a week later I wouldn't have finished.

    I believe everyone who participates is a winner because they chose to challenge themselves and wrote more than they would have otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's something that I couldn't do. My writing genre requires more time to write, and November's a really tough month, from the academic side of things, to take on anything extra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nano really doesn't suit every genre, William, you're right. For exmaple, I can't imagine writing historical fiction during Nano (although there are brave souls who attempt it) - I'd say you'd spend more time editing out inaccuracies than you would writing.

      Hope your busy November isn't too bad!

      Delete

I love comments!