Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Return of the Blog: The First Draft Edition

I realise I'm a month late, but I am finally returning to the blogging fold! It's nice to be back.

The reason I am so late is because finishing the first draft of The Curse of the Carberrys took longer than I expected. It was my Nanowrimo project in 2011 and had stalled a little once November was over. Once I restarted writing in earnest, I expected it to be very quick.

It didn't quite work out that way, because as I re-read what I had written, I spotted a few issues and fixed them as I went (two sisters kept swapping ages. Not good!).

And then in the final week of writing, I sprained my right shoulder. I'm right-handed. My day job involves typing and picking up phones. I can expect to be in pain for another four weeks, and excessive activity could cause scar tissue to form and lead to permanent damage.

I was 4000 words from the end of the book and I had to slow right down. Writing those last 4000 words took about five days, which is much slower than I usually manage when I know where I'm going with the story.

But now it's done! Copies have been sent to beta readers and I am bracing myself for feedback. I know the book has weaknesses, but it's the longest book I've ever written, the only one I ever completed with a shoulder sprain and the first to feature a dead gay book-reviewer. I'm pleased with it.

I'll be resuming my usual Monday and Friday blogging schedule from this Friday 3rd August, and I know I've said this before, but it is nice to be back.

So what did I miss? :)


4 comments:

  1. Hope your shoulder heals very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your shoulder has healed :) I'm intrigued by the dead gay book reviewer?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!