Monday, April 30, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: Z is for Zanzibar

I can't believe it's the last day of the A-Z Challenge! Today we're going to Zanzibar, a semi-autonomous part of Tanzania in Africa. Among other things, Zanzibar is famous as the birthplace of Freddie Mercury, the probable birthplace of the Swahili language and the location of the shortest war in history, which lasted 38 minutes. It is this last fact which inspired today's story.

Zanzibar, 27th August 1896, 9:00

"It is 0900 hours and there has been no surrender," said General Lloyd Matthews. "Open fire."
Andrew Graves should not have heard the order. He had left his station briefly, just to check on his friend, and at the sound of the general's quiet voice, he turned on his heel and tiptoed back to his post, rushing to arrive before the fire started.
But no gunfire could be heard.
Had the order not filtered down? Andrew wondered as he looked out over the sultan's palace. It was large and sprawling - not as large as Buckingham Palace at home, but large enough to house staff. He had  heard rumours from the other soldiers than the new Sultan had a harem. It sounded appealing then, but now all he could think of was unarmed women, sitting inside, eating breakfast, with nowhere to run.
The sound of gunfire pierced Andrew's reverie and he began to load his canon.


Thank you to everyone who took the time to visit, read, comment or follow me during the A-Z challenge :) I've had great fun. All of the entries can be read by clicking on the A-Z Challenge 2012 tag below.


20 comments:

  1. Very calm before the storm sort of moment!

    I didn't know that about Freddie Mercury....

    Congratulations on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, cheers for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Unarmed women and children with nowhere to run says it all.
    Phew, we've completed the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Sally, hard to believe we made it!

      Delete
  3. nice blog--i have so enjoyed your work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, I've really enjoyed your comments :)

      Delete
  4. What a cathartic and powerful end to your A-Zing! Thanks for all the fabulous stories!! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enoyed them, Kitty, thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! It has been a real pleasure truely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just getting here. The most challenging part of A to Z is visiting all the blogs. I love microfiction! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Jess - I agree, visiting blogs is the hard part. I feel I haven't done my bit with that, so I'm going to visit as many of them as I can now that the challenge is over. Glad you enjoyed the short fiction!

      Delete
  7. I've read through several of your A-Z posts; what a great theme you had. Quick, informative, and well crafted.

    Oh, Hi Pinky :)

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Donna, very glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  8. Oh that is a great story. You didn't use very many words, but told us so much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Jessica, much appreciated!

      Delete
  9. I didn't know Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar!

    I haven't dropped by until now, but I've been reading you through Google Reader and really enjoyed your vignettes.

    Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm here for, Talli, I entertain and I educate :p About Freddie Mercury anyway. . .

      Delete
  10. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your little stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!