Friday, April 27, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: X is for Xanadu

We haven't been to Asia very much on this trip, so today we're visiting Xanadu, the site of the Yuan Dynasty Upper Capital, located in what is now Inner Mongolia. Most famous as the place where Kubla Khan did something (what exactly he did eludes everyone who only knows the first line of Coleridge's famous poem). 

Xanadu

Sally brushed her hair back from her forehead and stood up straight. Her back was aching from a long morning of digging and sifting through the loose silt, looking for any artefacts that might shed some light on life in Xanadu, or revive her flagging stature in the department.
Her colleague Brett was worrying at some earth. As she watched his tanned, dusty fingers probing, Sally caught sight of the tiniest glimmer. Her heart skipped. He'd found something!
"BRETT!" Sally yelled. "Mosquito!"
She hadn't got the word fully out when he leapt to his feet, flailing his hands and gasping.
"Shitshitshit, where? Is it near me?"
"No," Sally said, bending down and hunting for the fragment Brett had dropped. "Sorry, it's gone. My mistake. . . hey, I think I found something!"

I would like to point out that any archaeologists I have met in real life are lovely people and would never do this! If you want to read any other entries in my flash fiction world tour, click on the tag below this post. Thanks for visiting.

9 comments:

  1. Naughty Sally - good job I'm nothing like my namesake! I did have a sneaky snigger though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Sally in my current book, too, but don't worry, she's very nice!

      Delete
  2. Very descriptive, Ellen. Evokes a great image :-) Good job sticking with the A to Z :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Teresa, it's been a tough but rewarding month!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Kitty, thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Bad, bad Sally! Fun story. Delighted you went for Xanadu as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for suggesting it, Simon, I would have been very stuck for X, Y and Z without you!

      Delete
  5. I've got an archaeologist in my book who winds up doing something early on that he really shouldn't do, but it's temptation that leads him on.

    Good flash fic, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!