Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: U is for Utah

Today's stop on my A-Z flash fiction world tour takes us to Utah - specifically to Hanksville, a small settlement of about 200 people located close to several large national parks. A large portion of the town's income comes from tourism, but it is also home to the Mars Desert Research Station and the Hanksville-Burpee Dinosour Quarry. I suspect all 219 of those residents are quite interesting. . .

Hanksville, Utah

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" Miss Anderson asked the first little boy.
"A paleontologist," he said, chewing on his finger.
"Wow, that's interesting!" said Miss Anderson. She'd have to keep an eye on this kid. He must be smart.
"How about you?" she asked the boy sitting beside him.
"I wanna be a paleontologist too," he said.
"Don't just copy Caleb, sweetie, tell me what you really want."
"I want to be a paleontologist, I wanna dig up dinosaur bones."
"You - what would you like to be?" she asked a girl with reddish pigtails.
"I'm gonna be a paleontologist and I'm gonna work in Hanksville-Burpee just outside town and I'm gonna have a house next door to my best friend Kennedy."
Miss Anderson had never encountered such ambitious seven year-olds.
"Would anyone like to be a NASCAR driver or play for the NFL or go on TV?"
The class shook their heads, and Miss Anderson found herself doing the same. She suspected she was going to like this town.

For the rest of my A-Z flash fiction, click on the tag below this entry. Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect fit for my little guy, dinosaur aficionado that he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet there'd be one weirdo who wanted to be a quarterback, but the others would just think him odd...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunate that none of these kids would want to waste their lives driving NASCAR!

    Good one, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!