Saturday, April 21, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: S is for Skeleton Coast

Today's stop on the A-Z flash fiction world tour takes us to the evocatively-named Skeleton Coast in Namibia. The Skeleton Coast got its name from the whalebones that once littered its beaches. Today's piece highlights what I think is the most interesting thing about the Skeleton Coast. It also features a reappearance of Jack and Kevin from our trip to Queensland.

Skeleton Coast

"What do you mean, we're stranded?" Kevin asked. Jack shrugged into his 'Ghost Ship Hunters' jacket and jumped over the side of the boat.
"That's the problem with the Skeleton Coast," Jack said. "A human powered boat can land. . . but it can't launch."
". . . You might have mentioned this," Kevin said, and kicked a piece of driftwood in frustration. He looked around. There were three rusting shipwrecks within view.
"You have to admit, though," Jack said, "professionally speaking, we could have landed in worse places."

To read the rest of my A-Z world tour, just click on the tag below this post. Thank you for reading!

14 comments:

  1. Nicely done!

    Just the name of the place is enough to make you think twice about getting anywhere near it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it suggests you may end up with nothing elft of you but a skeleton, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. A place named Skeleton Coast sounds like a perfect place for mysterious things to happen.
    BTW, what is pink tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink tea is just berry or fruit tea - I drink a lot of them and most of them are pink in colour, and I liked the alliteration when I was starting the blog! I drink more camomile and peppermint now but the name lives on :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting post - have you read the Benedict Allen book at the Sketeton Coast?

    David

    http://britsintheus23.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, David, but I will check it out!

      Delete
  4. Nice bit of fiction! You have me wanting to know what happens to Jack and Kevin now LOL

    And I agree, the Skeleton Coast sounds like a great setting for a mysterious story...

    ~Lynn
    http://www.acommonsea.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Lynn - I think I may need to write more about Jack and Kevin!

      Delete
  5. Nice! Definitely a great setting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Is this something you wrote? Is it from a book I should read? Sounds intriguing! Dropping by from the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is something I wrote, Julie - for the A-Z challenge I am writing a piece of short fiction for every letter of the alphabet, and I decided to use place names as a theme for my stories. Maybe there will be a book about these guys someday though!

      Delete
  7. It seems you should take an excerpt from one of your blips and give it some more...to make a full fledged book. This one seems good for that. Jack and Kevin are waiting. Me, too.
    Following along to see where we go next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now all I need is a plot. . . but I do like the idea of Jack and Kevin hunting ghost ships all over the world :)

      Thanks for following, nice to meet you!

      Delete

I love comments!