Monday, April 16, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: N is for Nahanni National Park, Canada

Yesterday's microfiction was close to home for me, as I was writing about a town 90 miles away from where I live in Dublin. Today we're off to the other side of the globe, to the Nahanni National Park in the Northwestern Territories in Canada.

Nahanni National Park

"Oh, this looks so amazing!" Natalie's nose was pressed against the window of their small floatplane.
"You see that part of the river there?" Jack said, pointing and checking his map. "That's called Funeral Range!"
"How did it get that name?" Natalie asked the pilot.
"Apparently some gold prospectors died here. There are a lot of stories about the place being haunted," the pilot said, not turning his head from the controls.

Natalie gave a slight shudder. Jack fingered the ring box in his trouser pocket. Hopefully she'd forget about that soon, so he could ask.

Thanks for visiting! The rest of my microfiction world tour can be found by clicking the tag below.

12 comments:

  1. You know, I always want to visit your blog because I like the name. Even if it was Tea and Pink Paper I would like it.

    There is a lot of untamed wilderness in the area you are describing. My son lives up there now and I am learning about it through him.

    Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi :) It looks like a fascinating area, I'd love to visit someday.

      Delete
  2. I like that term...microfiction. I had never heard that before. Nice piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it DL, cheers for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Well done!

    The Nahanni's a place with a lot of strange, foreboding stories and names... Death Lake, Tombstone Mountain...

    It's also one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I'm planning on featuring it in a book down the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks fantastic. I really want to visit it now :) I did notice some of the creepy names and they caught my imagination.

      Delete
  4. I did my first micro-fiction for Rachael Harrie's Platform Building contest. I kinda liked it. it was freeing. Thanks for sharing yours. I'm a new follower via the A to Z. Nice to meet you, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Nancy, nice to meet you too :)

      Microfiction can be very freeing alright, it's nice to take such a tiny slice of life and present it with very little background.

      Delete
  5. why did he bring up the scary story---nice touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have been too happy with him if I was Jack!

      Delete
  6. Great idea for the challenge. And lots of atmosphere created in such a few words, well done. Visiting on the A-Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Claire, you're the second Claire Hennessy to visit my blog :) Nice to meet you, glad you liked the story!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!