Friday, April 13, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: L is for Lausanne

We're back in Europe today and visiting Lausanne, a small but vibrant university city in Switzerland. It is exactly the sort of place I might have ended up in when I was interrailing in 2008, so in that spirit, today's story is about two interrailers. I would like to point out that my interrailing companion would never have been as cruel as Libby. I might be, though :)

Lausanne

They stood at the top of the Sauvabelin Tower, the winding streets of Lausanne laid out before them.
"Can we go back down now, please?" Jess begged. Libby shook her head, the green streaks in her blonde hair swirling around her small face.
"No. You haven't confronted your fear yet."
"I am on holidays. Why am I confronting my fears?"
"Because our next stop is Paris and I am not climbing the Eiffel Tower on my own. You need to face up to this."
"I am on top of a tower made out of sticks. What more do you want?"
"Look out. Look down at the terrace." Libby began to snap pictures of the view. "Shall I take one to prove you've been up here?"
Libby took Jess's grimace as assent and aimed her camera at Jess. She had more sense than to ask her to smile.

Thanks for reading - the rest of my flash fiction world tour can be accessed by clicking the tag below this entry. PS - this is the view that faces Jess if she manages to inch her way to the edge. . .

28 comments:

  1. Sometimes I find coming back down was more difficult than going up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm very bad with heights myself so I feel Jess's pain here!

      Delete
  2. So clever, this. I enjoyed reading it and love your blog.

    If you've the time, take a look at my blog. I'm the author of the Bella and Britt series for kids.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Nancy, looking forward to visiting you blog :) Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  3. Well that's certainly a novel way to treat fear of heights! The tower "made of sticks" is amazing!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very cool looking tower, but as someone who doesn't like heights I'd find it a little scary myself!

      Delete
  4. I've joined you for the first time in Lausanne and have been intrigued enough to check your earlier A-Z posts. Flash fiction is not easy to keep up each day for a month but you have held my attention; I'll be back to read some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Bob, I'm glad you enjoyed the fiction. I'm mostly writing it day-to-day but the first three or four were written a few days before the challenge started. Working day-to-day is very tough but always fun.

      Delete
  5. nice little story! and thanks for the comment, I will hold you to that! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, daily location-based microfiction. Not only can I be entertained, but I can entertain the idea of being a world traveler again. Nice.

    Of course, now all I want to do is stand atop a tower of sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nate, that's the main reason I'm doing this microfiction world tour, it's a great way to enjoy learning about places :)

      I'm slightly scared of heights but I had a similar impulse when I saw this tower!

      Delete
  7. Hi Ellen:
    Delightfully flash.
    Here from A-Z and your blog is a pleasure!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of flash fiction, and really enjoyed your story. Stopping by from A - Z Challenge. Have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your flash fiction... very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're very welcome, glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  10. Vertigo! One can get through life without confronting some fears;-)

    (Visiting from A-Z blogging challenge)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jess would like to try! But you're right, fear is the spice of life :)

      Delete
  11. Great job! I'd love to see that view in person. By the way, what's pink tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink tea is my name for berry and fruit flavoured teas, which I started drinking a few years ago when I gave up caffeine. I'm mostly a camomile or peppermint girl now but the blog already has its name!

      Delete
  12. Poor Libby. I can empathise with her. Being atop a tower doesn't scare me, but I do have a fear of heights!

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate small heights especially - the standing-on-a-chair variety! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  13. Good flash fiction, Ellen!

    That tower is one I'd love to go up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William - it's not very tall but it's certainly distinctive! I'm in Canada on Monday.

      Delete
  14. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z challenge...lovely blog...good luck with the challenge!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, glad you like the blog :)

      Delete

I love comments!