Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: J is for Johannesburg

Today's stop on our world tour takes us to Africa for the first time, as we visit Johannesburg. I feel quite unsettled about today's piece - I have tried to avoid writing about the obvious or troubled aspects ofthe places I've visited, and writing about anything to do with apartheid when writing about South Africa felt obvious and lazy. I tried to find something else to write about but none of my other ideas went even a tiny bit well, so I decided to run with this one in spite of the theme.

Johannesburg

Tau wasn't religious. He never had been. But still he removed his hat as he reached the door of the Regina Mundi church.
Inside it was quiet and dark. Regina Mundi Day had been a couple of weeks ago, and Tau tried to imagine the church full of people. He found he couldn't. He always came when it was empty - although that was difficult, because of the tourists.
Tau walked along the aisles, running his fingers over the pits and scars from the bullets, before he knelt. He set his briefcase down and joined his hands, thinking of the people who had once stood here. He didn't pray, but he gave thanks.

For the rest of the A-Z world tour, click on the tag below. Thanks for reading :)

15 comments:

  1. Great job! I've visited Johannesburg many times. It's a vibrant city with much to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved reading about it, it looks like a fantastic destination. Hopefully I'll get to visit someday :)

      Delete
  2. I think your last line 'He didn't pray, but he gave thanks' says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your theme! Each post is like a little gem gathered from a different place around the world. Also nice to see a fellow Nanoer in the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the theme, I've been enjoying the writing a lot!

      I've met very few Nanoers in the blogosphere, which is odd given how many Nanoers there are :) Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  4. So sad - glad Tau found some kind of closure and peace! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a way to turn a sad story around and make it come full circle.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, and what a great idea for the A to Z Challenge! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Nice to meet you :)

      Delete
  7. Very effectively done!

    I'd like to see the city at some point in the future, particularly to go see that mountain overlooking the place...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!