Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: I is for Irishtown

This story takes us a lot closer to home for me - Irishtown is a small suburb of Dublin located somewhere between the city centre and my house :) The name always fascinated me until the A-Z challenge prompted me to look up the history of it. 

Irishtown, Dublin

"So why the hell is it called Irishtown anyway?" Emma asked me. It was funny listening to her say 'hell' in her accent, which sounded like tweed, private schools and Princess Diana. "Every town in Ireland is an Irish town by definition, surely." She stubbed out her cigarette and waited for me to reply as we strolled on towards the city centre.
"It's because - well, in the 1400s sometime, when the English occupied Dublin, they expelled the natives from inside the city walls. This is where they settled. So I guess the name dates from a time when not everywhere in Ireland was Irish."
There was a long, uncomfortable pause.
"I think," Emma said, "that I'd like to stop somewhere for a coffee. What do you think?"
"That sounds good," I said. "But you're buying."
I could hear the relief in her laughter, the sound of old tension breaking.

For the rest of the A-Z world tour, please click on the 'A-Z Blogging Challenge 2012' tag below. Thanks for reading :)

25 comments:

  1. Really interesting! A neighbor, Maggie, is from Dublin and said something about Irish Town once. I thought she was joking. Hmmm, not so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in spite of the odd name, it is a real place. I have taken buses through it many times and once reported someone for dangerous driving in their police station :) Definitely real, but I can see why someone wouldn't think so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, LOVE! I studied abroad in Ireland, so this flash fiction is right up my alley. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Where in Ireland did you study?

      Delete
  4. I wondered about that name, too, when we visited Dublin. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm really enjoying your world tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My information comes from Wikipedia (among others) so I can't promise it's true, but it's the only plausible explanation I've ever found! Glad you're enjoying the posts, thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  5. Let's hope their friendship proves true and will outlast such awful history! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Kitty - I think it will!

      Delete
  6. Ellen:

    It was cool how you used the story to give a little history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irishtown, what a cool name to use in a story. Very creative post.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
  8. How strange to have a town in Ireland called Irishtown but the story makes everything clear. Interesting thing to learn. The A - Z Challenge is great for gaining snippets of information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought it was weird myself, since as Emily says, surely they are all Irish towns! And I agree, the A-Z Challenge is brilliant for finding out unusual facts.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting. I am going to have to look that up!

    I am trying to read all the A to Z blogs, but coming back to the ones I really like.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do all month!

    Tim
    The Other Side
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, I'm very flattered to hear you've been coming back to visit :) Glad you're enjoying the world tour!

      Delete
  10. What an interesting name for a town. I guess, if I ever make it to Ireland, I'm going to have to visit Irishtown.

    A to Z Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty small suburb but it is near the city centre of Dublin so it's easy to visit!

      Delete
  11. I like how you summed up centuries of discord in just this fleeting snapshot of a mixed friendship! Interesting about Irishtown, but in light of the explanation, that makes sense. :)

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been centuries of discord alright, but with two countries so close, sharing one of their languages and with lots of cultural and economic ties, hate isn't an easy option. It's good to see so many people moving past it these days :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed reading your post today. I found you through the A - Z
    http://sallys-scribbles.blogspot.co.uk/
    I'm a new follower today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and following, Sally, it's nice to meet you!

      Delete
  13. What a fun little story! Thanks, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Strange how these events centuries ago still resonate all the years later in the name of a place, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!