Saturday, April 7, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: G is for Gravesend

Today's microfiction comes from Gravesend in Kent, England. Gravesend is located on the Thames and played a key role in shipping and maritime communications on the river for many years.

Gravesend

'Can you believe it?'
Dina looked up from her book. On the other side of the St. George's Churchyard was a gaggle of young women, a jungle of cameras dangling from slender wrists and long fingers marking critical pages of dog-eared guidebooks.
'We're actually at the final resting place of a princess. . . ' There was excitement and awe in the speaker's voice, and she smoothed her highlighted chestnut hair.
'Let me take some photos.' One of the other girls swung her camera effortlessly into her hand and began directing the others to form a sombre line around the statue of Pocahontas.
Dina couldn't suppress a small smile. If her mother was here, she would go over to the girls with a wagging finger and tell them that Pocahontas wasn't a princess, she was a chief's daughter, and that no one was sure where her remains were. She had died at Gravesend but the location of her body wasn't known. Dina's mother had never let a little thing like politeness stand in the way of accuracy.
Dina closed her book and walked over to the statue.
'Would you like me to take the picture?' she asked.



To read the rest of my A-Z Microfiction World Tour, just click on the 'A-Z Blogging Challenge 2012' tag below.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen.
    I'm visiting from the A to Z Circuit...
    I'm also writing 26 fiction posts... well, I'm trying to, anyway...
    Mmm... politeness or accuracy... makes me wonder what Dina has in store with regards to the snapshot...
    Enjoy the rest of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Dina just being nice - she turned out nicer than her mum! Looking forward to visiting your blog, Michelle :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a interesting post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with your choosing micro-ficton for your series and how well you are doing with it. I have not that much courage.

    Happy A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that pre-planning helped. I am writing the fiction not quite day-to-day, but almost - but I made sure to have my 'destinations' chosen before the month started so I could at least think about possible things to include.

      Happy A-Z Challenge to you too :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Ellen. As soon as you mentioned St. George's Churchyard I was back there with my first boyfriend. We used to wait by the statue for my bus to come (the stop was just outside the gate).

    You've brought a real lump to my throat, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to know something you've written has affected someone. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I enjoyed finding out about Gravesend - my dad was a marine engineer so I loved reading about the shipping history.

      Delete
  5. I like that!

    I've heard of the place on occasion, and I think I'll have to see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifully written...makes me want to read more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing post! I really like this, and I am not typically a flash fiction fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stopping by for h. nice read for G. never heard of Gravesend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been to Gravesend. Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!