Sunday, April 1, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: A for Alaska

For the A-Z Challenge, I'm going to post microfiction - each post will be themed around a place, from buildings and tiny villages to countries and continents. To kick off, I'm heading to somewhere remote, fascinating and beautiful, that I have always dreamed of visiting: Alaska.

Alaska

Kayla stepped out of the SUV gingerly, planting her feet carefully on the deep snow. Only her eyes and upper cheekbones were exposed but she instantly felt the bite of the cold Alaskan air on her skin. She watched as Tom unloaded their backpacks and boxes of groceries on the driveway of the Boreal Lodge.
'This. . .' Tom said, looking around at the landscape as though he'd built it. 'It's exactly what I dreamed of. This is just what we need. Isn't it amazing?'
Kayla was sure it was beautiful, but she wasn't in the best frame of mind for appreciating scenery. Seventy-five miles north of the Arctic Circle, in a village with 22 inhabitants and no shops, stiff from hours of driving from Fairbanks and the even longer flight from Texas.
It seemed an odd way to save a marriage.

21 comments:

  1. Sometimes men have a very different idea of what is needed than women do :-) Love the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of flash fiction is new to me. This is great and I can't wait to read your posts during the challenge. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Oh enjoyed this!! What a great way to start your A-Zing! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds inviting ..... and nippy. I'm hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I'm here from the A to Z challenge - you're off to a great start - look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stopping by from A to Z challenge... love your start and look forward to reading more!
    cheers,
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oohh, I love this idea. Excellent writing, and a killer hook at the end. Got me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea on how to handle the challenge. Im maybe doing something similar, though not travelling much beyond my own backyard. Can't wait to read B and hope you'll visit my A!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rolled the dice on the A-Z! Landed on you! great start to a story. My sister lives in Anchorage AK! Tad bit chilly there for me...And I live in Maine! Good luck with the A-Z!

    Saffron Wine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome idea for the A-Z challenge! Great story and I want to read more. :-) Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice - great sense of place and believable characters. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You rule! I loved that. I think was you are doing is totally intriguing! And you are doing it so well!

    jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that in a few short sentences, you were able to pull me in as a reader! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely post of A interesting by the way

    here is mine at GAC a-z do check it out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooohhhh! I like - actually, I love! {I love it even more because my name is Kayla - so I can imagine myself being in Alaska - I have always wanted to go!} Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, lots of lovely comments here! Thank you all for stopping by and saying such nice things, I look forward to checking out all of your blogs today :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, very good Ellen! I like that they traveled all the way from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I like that! Very intriguing, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!