Friday, April 6, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: F is for Falkland Islands

Today's super-short story takes place in the Falkland Islands, a British overseas territory located off the coast of Argentina.According to Wikipedia, "justice is administered by a resident senior magistrate and a non-resident Chief Justice of the Islands who visits the islands at least once a year." The senior magistrate is also the islands' coroner.

Falkland Islands

Gerard removed his glasses, wiped a hand across his forehead and looked at the nervous crowd assembled in court.
It was not easy being the coroner for a tight-knit community of 3,000 people, who lived on a small archipelago. He had investigated the deaths of more friends than he cared to recall. There was no one else he could ask to help with the difficult cases, or the personal ones - and out here on the islands, everything was personal. Never more so than now.
He took a deep breath. 'It is my verdict that Mr. Anderson died by unlawful killing. This was murder.'
Gerard braced himself for shouts, but all he heard was silence.

To read earlier entires in my alphabetical world tour, just click the 'A-Z Blogging Challenge 2012' tag beneath this post. 

21 comments:

  1. Poor Gerard!! I fear for him now! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly has a mystery on his hands!

      Delete
  2. What an interesting setting for a murder mystery. I would love to learn more about the Falkland islands. I'm a visiting A-Z blogger and a new follower. By the way, I love your blog title Pink Tea and Paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was any good at writing mysteries, I would think about expanding this little piece - alas, I'm not! But I found the Falkland Islands interesting when I was researching them. Nice to meet a new follower!

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's a good one! Very intriguing!

      I'm thinking of having the Falklands feature into a spy thriller novel down the line....

      Delete
    3. Ellen,I agree with Sir Wills.

      Shelly
      Doing A to Z http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. Lol and here I am wondering: "what happens next? What happens next?!" You're definitely a good writer, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to torture you Sabrina, but I'm glad you liked it, thanks for the compliment and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with the other comments - I definitely want more! I also think this is a great theme for an A to Z :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I think silence is louder than shouting anyway. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elana, I agree - sometimes silence is just more effective!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I was determined not to write about the war - and I thought the idea that the island's coroner lives in such a small community full-time was interesting :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Ellen,

    Great post, I think I just found my new favorite blog. Love the way you write!

    I discovered your site through the A to Z Challenge and am now a follower, but not in a stalker-ish way with binoculars and night vision goggles or anything like that ….

    Feel free to take a peek at my blog too if you have time. I write humor, and people tell me I’m funny (maybe it’s just the voices in my head, that’s what the doctor told me this last time when he upped my meds again).

    http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too :) And thanks for saying such nice things.

      Looking forward to checking out your blog - and hey, if we listened to our doctors, I bet there'd be no books at all :p

      Delete
  8. Hi Ellen,
    I very much enjoyed the posts. Micro fiction. This is new to me and very intriguing. It left me wanting more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad you liked it :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love your writing. This post is fantastic!

    Thank you for visiting my blog!

    A to Z: http://skaypisms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. On my bucket list!

    My last name is Falk and I love penguins. :) Plus, I want to see Antarctica someday and a cruise from Argentina usually includes a stop at these islands.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!