Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: C for Chelsea Physic Garden, London

Welcome back to the A-Z Challenge - I'm writing microfiction themed around a different place each day. After our visit to Bamberg in Germany yesterday, today we're off to London; specifically, to Chelsea Physic Garden, which was founded in 1673 as a research garden for the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries (isn't that a brilliant name?) and is now open to the public.

Chelsea Physic Garden

Grapefruit. The very word sounded heavy and rich with possibility.
Aaron glanced left, then right. His dad was pointing at something or other, his mum was nodding. They did that a lot.
The fruit hung above Aaron, like a pale orange.
'These,' his father had said, in his best lecturer voice, 'are the northernmost-growing grapefruit in the world. Imagine that, Aaron - no grapefruit from here to the North Pole.'
Aaron pictured a sign - 'North Pole: No Grapefruit til London SW3.'
His parents had walked on, but Aaron stayed under the grapefruit, looking.
He'd stolen apples before, from the low-hanging tree in his neighbour's garden. This could be his only shot at grapefruit, ever.
He glanced around again.

29 comments:

  1. I really liked this! Especially his notion of a sign that says 'no grapefruit from here to london' LOL. Lots said with little words! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!! Loved this story - loved it!! Bad Aaron!! yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty, thanks for the suggestion - I'd never heard of Chelsea Physic Garden til you suggested it and I honestly could have written lots of pieces about it! Cheers again for telling me about such an interesting place.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous writing. I hope you're doing something more with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this may be the end of my involvement in Aaron's story! Part of me wants him to steal a grapefruit and part of me thinks he should leave them untouched for other visitors to look at. . . :)

      Delete
  4. loving your a-z so far. pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ellen:

    This sounds like furistic stuff. Pretty much what's happeing now. In the state of Florida, we no longer see the citrus trees along the highways and countryroads. It's sad, really.

    Now following.

    Shelly

    http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Looks like a spelled futuristic totally wrong.

      Delete
    2. It does a little, but it's definitely set in the present - apparently climates in Northern Europe are too cold for grapefruit to grow, but somehow they've cultivated some in central London, which I love :)

      Delete
  6. What a great story! I always admire the people who choose to do microfiction for the challenge. I might have to give that a try next year. :-)

    ~Marie
    Ramblings of a Daydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting microstory. Temptation comes in all forms, doesn't it? Like the fruit in Genesis, just hanging there. Thanks for the story. Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ruby, glad you liked the story.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, I stopped by your blog too :)

      Delete
  9. I wanted to see his reaction if he took the forbidden fruit!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about flash fiction - you get to shove some of the imaginative work on to the reader :) I could get used to this. . . !

      Delete
  10. Oh, now I want to know if he does take it. Great story. :)


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really enjoying your microfiction. I honestly never knew so much could be said in such few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm so glad you're enjoying them :)

      Delete
  12. Very cute. This is a good idea for posts where people will be trying to look at lots of blogs. I'm trying to visit them all during the A-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to visit them all, isn't it? I appreciate you finding time to stop by :)

      Delete
  13. Loving the micro-fiction with such interesting settings!

    For a long-form young adult book with this very Physic Garden at its heart (along with Russian spies and the Hollywood blacklist of the 1950s), look at Maile Maloy's The Apothecary - my review (no spoilers) at http://booksyalove.blogspot.com/2012/02/apothecary-fiction.html

    Happy A-to-Z-ing!
    **Katy M
    Recommending YA books beyond the bestsellers at
    http://BooksYALove.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter @BooksYALove

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!