Monday, April 2, 2012

A-Z Microfiction: B for Bamberg

Continuing with my alphabetical microfiction world tour, today we're ricocheting all the way from Alaska to Germany to visit Bamberg, a UNESCO-listed university town in Bavaria.

Bamberg

Inge stood on the bridge that linked the two sides of the river Regnitz as hoardes of tourists surged past, rushing to photograph the beautiful medieval town hall. Her son waved from the opposite side of the river, broke free from his father's grip and ran to her without a backward glance.
Inge watched the hurt flit across her ex-husband's face, but it was always like this. Their Grand Idea - that their son should spend alternating weeks with each parent, so his whole life would feel like a holiday and neither Igne nor Robert would miss out on his daily life - was working very well.
As Inge bent to lift him up, she looked again at their town hall, which she had lived beside since she was born and no longer even saw. It had been built on a man-made island, belonging to neither side of the river. It stood alone in the centre of the small, bustling city - proud, tall and self-sufficient.
Inge looked at her son and wondered what she and Robert would create.

28 comments:

  1. I really love your A-Z theme - the location and the micro fiction - but I'll be honest, I didn't think you could do something meaningful in such a short piece. I'm wrong. this was really beautiful, symbolic, emotional and with a light touch. WELL DONE. I think I doubted because I can't do micro fiction. But I love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Alex :D It's nice of you to say so.

    I don't know if I'll manage good microfiction for every post this month - but it's certainly fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, especially the symbolism of the town hall on island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the starting point of the story - once I decided to write about Bamberg I thought 'I need to do something about the town hall not belonging to either side!'

      Delete
  4. heartwrenching. And in just a few paragraphs. I'll be back for C. Thanks for visiting my A. B is now up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by again Sandra - I'll check out your B!

      Delete
  5. Oh how sad!! But hopefully their son will thrive under such circumstances! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my head, he turns out fine, but his parents worry a lot along the way :)

      Delete
  6. Microfiction wordtour - WOW! What a great concept. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done. And what a great theme for your A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Love these little vignettes :-)

    Glad to see another micro-fiction writer - my A-Z theme is one story, broken into 26x100-word bite-sized chunks!

    SueH I refuse to go quietly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to find another one, Sue :) I'll pop over for a visit, I love your idea!

      Delete
  9. This is a fun idea - I'm impressed! New follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great theme for the A-Z! I've heard of flash fiction but not microfiction :)
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thnk they may be two terms for the same thing. . . I call it Microfiction because some time ago, there was a weekly blog challenge to write 140-character fiction, and it was called Microfiction Monday. I think flash fiction is pretty similar!

      Looking forward to checking out your blog :)

      Delete
  11. You are one of my favorite places to visit!

    jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea for the challenge! And what a challenge, indeed... I don't think I could manage. I have a much less ambitions plan for the month... ; P

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! Sounds like they'll create a strong boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, beautiful! I hope he turns out the same way as that town hall, rather than always feeling torn in two. I spent some years with divorced parents, and it's not easy.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. An old old story given a fresh new twist. Nice one Ellen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful story! I loved it! Where will you take us tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful story! I loved it! Where will you take us tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!