Friday, March 23, 2012

Matters Irish

Apologies for missing my Monday update - it was a public holiday here following St. Patrick's Day on March 17th, so I wasn't near a computer. Hope everyone who marked the occasion had a lovely St. Paddy's Day!

There are a lot of very vehement groups on Facebook informing Americans that in Ireland, Patty is never used as a short form of Patrick so it should be called St. Paddy's Day for short, rather than St. Patty's Day. Personally I don't care, call it what you wish (some sources suggest St. Patrick was three people, so I'm not going to come over all 'This is AUTHENTIC Saint Patrick!' since we actually can't pin the facts of his life down too closely. For all we know, he could have been called Geoff).

But I would like my American readers to know that Patty is a more usual nickname for Patricia, the female form of Patrick, so if you call an Irishman named Patrick 'Patty', he is going to think you're a little strange :)

Geoff is not recommended either.

In other news, my friend Trish and I have started a blog dedicated to the endlessly interesting subject of tea. So far most of our posts have been from Trish - I have chimed in only once to comment on a Scotswoman who has managed to sell tea to China. If you're a tea enthusiast, please come and say hi!

9 comments:

  1. Tea!!! BTW I have an award for you today at my blog - http://tyreanswritingspot.blogspot.com/2012/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Geoff is not recommended either." LOL I spit out my coffee laughing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you spit out your coffee but glad I made you laugh :) Good excuse for more coffee!

      Delete
  3. I'd like to celebrate St. Geoff's day ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see no reason why we can't! Let's choose a date.

      Delete
  4. Just as long as there's not a St. Scott's Day. Nothing good ever came from anyone named Scott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, very tempted to go looking for examples to prove this wrong. . . but I'm sure you've done your research!

      Delete
  5. I don't know, William- my dad's name was Scott and I'm not so terrible. ;)
    Hi, Ellen! Stopping by from the A-Z Challenge. Love your blog! Checking out Talking Tea as well. Best of luck in the A-Z!
    Jenny @ The Modest Peacock

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!