Monday, March 5, 2012

I Need Your Help: The A-Z Challenge

The A-Z Challenge is bearing down on us and I need to reach out to my fellow bloggers, Tweeters and online folk for some help! Don't worry, it's the fun kind of help.

Instead of blogging about my usual unpublished-writer shtick, I've decided to write a daily piece of microfiction for April. And I'm going one step further - I have a Theme, the holy grail of every school essay on Jane Eyre and Hamlet :)

Here is my idea:

Each piece of microfiction will be themed around a place. It could be a country, a city, a state, a suburb, a village, a forest, a national park, an attraction, a street, a county . . . you get the idea. So on Day One, I may be writing microfiction set in Alice Springs, Australia, and on Day Two we might be in Belgium, and on Day Three in Camden County, New Jersey. No place is too big or too small.

But I don't want to be boring, so I'm not just going to write about the handful of places I know well. And this is where you guys come in.

I want you to make suggestions! Give me a place - as large or as small as you like. I'll read about it (this is probably going to be the most fun part for me, because I love learning about new places almost as much as I love going to them) and then I'll write a short piece of fiction set there.

I'm hoping to get some variety so feel free to suggest anywhere you think may be interesting - it doesn't have to be your home - and spread the word!

16 comments:

  1. Okay, off the top of my head:
    Gravesend, Woolwich Dockyard (or Woolich Arsenal), Malta.

    This sounds like a fun idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea Physic Garden in London SW3!

    Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moon.
    New Haven, Connecticut.
    South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one ever talks about my hometown. So Monaghan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danvers State Hosptial in Massachusetts.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danvers_State_Hospital

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of you guys are what I might call worryingly creative!

    Sara, my grandmother was from Castleblayney and I agree that Monaghan as a county gets very little attention! I presume you mean Monaghan town rather than Co. Monaghan though? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dock for fishing boats at Steveston Village in British Columbia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick. Virginia Falls, Nahanni National Park. And Prince Edward Island, all of which are here in Canada.

    Kilimanjaro and the Skeleton Coast in Africa.

    The Eiger in the Alps. St. Petersburg in Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christchurch, New Zealand; Megiddo, Israel: Subiaco, Italy; Patmos, Greece; Brisbane, Australia; Lausanne, Switzerland; Cape Town, South Africa; Zurich, Switzerland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here are the places I would like to see in a microfiction post :)

    Bamberg, Clifden, Kilcoole, Morocco, Saipan, Shizuoka, South Korea, Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I tagged you in the Lucky Seven meme, if you want to play along. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! You've all given me lots to think about. . . :)

      Rachel, thanks for tagging me - I'll be playing along on Friday!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a lot of fun. Some letters are obviously harder than others. My suggestions for the last three: Xanadu, Yemen, Zanzibar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for those :) They'll be useful!!

      Delete
  13. Sounds so unique and fun!

    These are some of my favourite places that I want to visit someday:

    Svalbard, Norway, Mongolia, Borneo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!