Friday, February 3, 2012

Making Blogging Work For You

Last Friday's post about the A-Z Challenge elicited some interesting comments, ranging from 'I hated it last year - never again!' to 'Sign me up now please!'

Which reminded me of one of the most basic things I've discovered on my blogging journey.

Blogging is great. It's fun, it connects us with fantastic people, it provides a great opportunity for writing practice. And there are very definite rules on doing it well (Catherine Ryan Howard writes brilliantly about this in her book Self-Printed).

But beyond the basic rules (Do Not Be A Pain In The Arse, Do Not Complain About People, Act Like A Professional), blogging is about finding your own place in the madness. There are millions of blogs out there. Speaking purely from memory, it seems that about two-thirds of them are written by unpublished/aspiring writers. There is only way to be one of those bloggers and not go completely nuts - that is to decide what you want from blogging and go after it, without worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Don't do a blogfest because everyone else is - decide if you want to do it. Don't blog about your querying process if you don't feel comfortable making it public. Your blog is your space. Use it as you want to.

With that in mind, I may consider turning my entire blog into a fansite about Cadbury's chocolate. I'm having one of those weeks where no Creme Egg in Dublin is safe. . . .

PS:
Since I was yakking about the A-Z Challenge last Friday, it's only fair to provide a sign-up link now that the challenge is open for registration. You can register at any of these fab blogs:

Cruising Altitude (DL Hammons)
Tossing It Out (Arlee Bird)
Amlokiblogs (Damyanti Biswas)
Alex J. Cavanaugh (Alex J. Cavanaugh)
Life is Good (Tina Downey)
Cruising Altitude 2.0 (DL Hammons)
Retro-Zombie (Jeremy Hawkins)
The Warrior Muse (Shannon Lawrence)
The QQQE (Matthew MacNish)
Author Elizabeth Mueller (Elizabeth Mueller)
Pearson Report (Jenny Pearson)
No Thought 2 Small (Konstanz Silverbow)
Breakthrough Blogs (Stephen Tremp)
Coming Down the Mountain (Karen Jones Gowen)

10 comments:

  1. I love what you wrote about using your blog as you want to. I've been thinking about getting advertisements on my blog but then realized it's not exactly what I want to do with it. So this was an affirmation of what I'd already thought.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sabrina :) Glad you found it helpful!

      I've considered ads a lot. . . When I post references to books or films I do link them to an Amazon affiliates account, but I have yet to make any money from this :) I would prefer not to have ads for the moment myself - I don't mind them on other blogs, but I don't want them on mine for the moment. Maybe someday!

      Delete
  2. I'm all for blogs who are purely about chocolate.

    :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my audience! On with the chocolate blog plan!

      Delete
  3. I love Cadbury creme eggs. I'd read that blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever start one, I'll let you all know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with A-Z. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I have an award for you over on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendidly said, Ellen! And there are plenty of us chocolate afficianados out there, I see....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice - blogging has to be about what works for you. The chocolate thing sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!