Friday, February 10, 2012

Gadgets That Rock

Inspired by Christine's great post on Wednesday (gosh, how often have I said a version of that sentence in the last few years? I bet if you Googled 'inspired by Christine's post' I'd come up), I want to talk about gadgets today. Christine shared the Top Five Gadgets in her life - I only have four, but her fifth sounds like a tempting buy . . .

1. My mobile phone. I have the world's dumbest smartphone, but I love it (kinda). More accurately, I love having a phone. Couldn't live without one.

2. My netbook. Teeny laptop with massive battery life - what's not to love? This is where my novel lives, it's what I use to watch TV and what can be carted into work for lunchtime writing sessions without snapping my back in two. I possibly love it more than my phone, but I put my phone first because I use it more often.

3. My mp3 player. I have the world's oldest, clunkiest mp3 player because I cannoy bear to get rid of it. It has 20GB of storage and most players today (apart from the iPod, which I avoid because I had a bad experience with one some years ago - I know that sounds like it bit me! It just never worked for longer than 30 minutes) top out at 4GB or 8GB. I have decisiveness issues - I need all my music with me! If a suitable alternative ever come son the market (seriously, electronics companies, if you're reading this - the market needs a middle ground between 8GB and 160GB. Get to work and call me when you're done) I will lay this one gently and reverently to rest after its years of devoted service. *sniff*

4. My Kindle. This is a relatively new edition to the family. It arrived this time last year and was given a very pretty leather cover in May 2011 and it has been my constant companion ever since. It allows me to read American books that don't arrive in bookshops here, it allows me to buy my books cheaper than I can on the high street, and it means I can read my own books on it and thus spot errors more quickly.

10 comments:

  1. I have a Kindle Fire now, and I do like it very much. Apart from that, I'm not very high tech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried out a Kindle Fire but they look great :) I have the Kindle Keyboard and I just love it.

      Delete
  2. The only one of these I have is a mobile phone, and no it's not a smartphone. For everything else I have to make do with my PC right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually regret getting a smartphone, Sarah, but I don't know if it's just that I hate my current phone or if I hate smartphones. I refer to my current phone as my StupidPhone (tm).

      Delete
  3. I'd like an iPad. I bet it would rock, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance your MP3 player is a Creative. I've had mine since first year of college, also clunky, also 20GB and I will cry if anything ever happens to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's an iRiver. But I do feel your pain. . .

      Delete
  5. I'm hearing good things about the Kindle from friends who have them.

    As long as I can hold out not getting a mobile phone, I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I salute your willpower, William. I caved about eleven years ago!

      Delete

I love comments!