Friday, January 27, 2012

The A-Z Challenge: To Do or Not To Do?

Already the blogosphere is buzzing with talk about the A-Z blogging challenge, which takes place in April. Sign-ups begin on Monday.

I did it last year and it was great fun. But I'm in two minds about doing this year.

See, I blog about books and writing (and occasionally I get a bit ranty about things). I've been blogging about being an unpublished writer for quite some time. To be perfectly frank, I'm running out of things to say, short of changing this blog's focus entirely to, I don't know, mittens on kittens or something (note to self: could be on to something with the kitten thing).

Blogging daily for a month, about topics on which I lack new wisdom, doesn't sound like it will be appealing to write, or to read.

But.

I have an idea.

I am going to write a piece of micro-fiction (under 60 words) for every letter of the alphabet.

So who else is taking part? Any ideas for themes, or will you blog according to your mood each day?

17 comments:

  1. So long as you enjoy the whole blogfesting thing! Good luck! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitty, I didn't want to miss out on the fun of the A-Z Challenge but I also didn't want to bore everyone. This seems to work!

      Delete
  2. I love your idea. I'm taking part, and I have an idea for a theme but I need to make sure I can sustain it for the whole alphabet :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Sarah :) Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I'd love to, I just can't commit the time this year. I'll still be watching for new blogs to check out, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the best things about the A-Z Challenge :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks :) Btw, have you read Sweet Valley Confidential? I haven't myself (and probably won't) but the summary on Wikipedia is hilarious (spoilery, though): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Valley_High#Sweet_Valley_Confidential

      Delete
    2. Haven't yet - I sped-read the epilogue and it looks WOEFUL. Think summaries are the way to go!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot for the first time this year. My theme is gonna be amateur radio. I figured I oughta have that topic to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, can't wait to read that Susan! Sounds like a very interesting topic, and not one I've thought about much :) I look forward to it!

      Delete
  6. I've been debating on doing it, too. Same thing, can I really come up with something interesting to say for 26 straight days?
    That's a good idea, though. I look forward to hearing what you come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel :) I'll be around and reading your blog in April whatever you decide!

      Delete
  7. I am not doing it this year. It was soul sucking and really got me out of my writing routine. I was so prepared that I just stopped blogging and was horrible about following other people's entries. Plus, there were over 2k participants. It was overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I found I got very lazy about reading other participants too - I already follow a lot of blogs and while I love connecting with new bloggers, I have limited blogging time so I worry about spreading myself too thin. This makes me lazy sometimes!

      Overall I enjoyed the experience, but I can definitely see how it wouldn't appeal to someone. Glad you made the best decision for yourself and your writing.

      Delete
  8. That's a great idea. Wish I'd thought of it! I'm taking part this year after feeling all left out last year ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read quite a few blogs with the A-Z challenge last year, though I don't think taking part for me is possible. Good luck to you when it comes, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!