Friday, January 6, 2012

2012 - Writing Goals

On Tuesday, I talked about my 2011 accomplishments. As I start 2012, I'm going to post my goals here - I'm hoping it will help to keep me accountable!

I am prone to setting myself absolutely impossible goals. My logic is simple but completely stupid - Nanowrimo works for me, ergo I can handle large and impossible goals. What I fail to realise is that Nano may be a large goal, but on a daily level, it is attainable (1,667 words a day). And during Nano, I somewhat suspend normal service. Friends see me less often, the blog isn't updated as much, I write during lunch hours instead of running errands. I can't sustain this year-round.

In spite of this, with a delicious empty year stretching before me, it's tempting to write a list of goals taller than I am (not as difficult as it sounds, I'm about 5'3). But I have to be mindful of reality.

I work full-time in a job that alternates between being very stressful and not at all stressful, so I can't guarantee a regular amount of spare mental time. Some days I want to go home from work and switch my brain off - other days I go home from work raring to get cracking on my novel. But I can't promise I'll write every day.

I also occasionally enjoy eating food, reading books, showering and sleeping. And I've had a few health problems lately. Burning the midnight oil is clearly not for this migraine-ridden hypochondriac. . .

This year, I am trying to be realistic for a change. So here goes:

Goals for 2012

  • Finish Curse of the Carberrys (currently about 55k, maybe two-thirds of the way through the plot)
  • Edit Curse of the Carberrys (this includes getting feedback from beta writers, crying over the harsh comments, consuming Ben & Jerry's to console self after harsh comments, resolving to never write again and resolving to write the best book ever to 'show' my enemies in unspecified fashion)
  • Finish the third draft/final edit of Crooked Paths (2010's Nanowrimo project, better known to blog readers as 'Becky')
  • Query agents with a manuscript I'm happy with
  • ML for Nanowrimo again
  • Win Nanowrimo again
  • Start research on a non-fiction project
  • Try my hand at writing a short story
  • Write articles (aim for one per month) and submit to publications
  • Update this blog twice a week and stay active on Blogger and Twitter
May you all have a wonderful 2012 and achieve all of your goals! I can't wait to read about everyone's year.

10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Ellen! Great goals for 2012 - I need to take a page from your book and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some well paced goals. Especially for a migraine sufferer. I know all about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paul!

    Cheers, Talli. I spotted your new year's resolution - to change your blog focus - and I think that's a really good one.

    Suz, sorry you're a fellow-sufferer. They seem to be designed to mess up my ability to write! Don't you hate it when you and your body aren't on the same side?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, I wish you well with accomplishing these goals. I am very impressed.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Karen! I hope you accomplish all the goals dear to heart in 2012 too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solid goals. Wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!