Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in Books

So you thought you might have the good fortune to read a blog post today that didn't mention Christmas? I hope you find it, but sadly you won't find it here :)

I have this problem with Christmas in my books. Specifically, there is rather too much of it.

I usually do my first drafts in November, for Nanowrimo. This means that as I write, the Christmas party invitations are starting to trickle in. My three incredibly close friends who have the temerity to be born in early-mid December (Interrailing Buddy, Lilac Faery and The Sociologist, to be precise) are usually starting to iron out their celebrations during late November (they have lots of friends in common - sadly I am not unique in that regard! - and tend to coordinate so they don't clash. Thankfully!). And I'm starting to look for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts and to think generally celebratory thoughts.

This always spills into my books.

In Becky (sorry, still no title!), Becky's upbeat flatmate asks her about her Christmas plans. One of the key moments in Becky's journey back to being a real person as well as a job is when she realises that she has been left out of her college friends' annual Secret Santa/ Kris Kindle present exchange because she hasn't seen any of them since the previous year.

This year, I'm writing about a family, and my main character is locked in a row with her sister about what they will do on Christmas Day. It's actually one of the more serious conflicts in the novel.

I enjoy reading Christmassy books, but I don't tend to read them as much during the rest of the year.

How about you guys? Do you have any favourite Christmas books? Any Christmas books that you don't read any other time? Have you ever read a Christmassy book at another time of year, and how did you find it?

This will be my last post til January so I hope you all have a lovely holiday season!

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Ellen!

    I haven't read many books that involve Christmas, though one year when I was much younger I got a book of Christmas ghost stories which was excellent.

    I have ideas brewing for two Christmas books, and the fourth in my Memory Chronicles series is going to be set around the Winter Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I can think of is the obvious - Dickens - but I'll read that at any time of the year :-)

    Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sarah.... Dickens anytime of the year.

    As it's now past Christmas, I'll wish you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really read Christmas books, even when it is Christmas. No idea why not, though. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw?

    See you next year!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!