Friday, June 17, 2011

Looking Forward

On Wednesday, I blogged about how the first book of a trilogy should end. Luckily, the cliff-hanger ending of The Knife of Never Letting Go won't affect me too badly, as both of the sequels are already in the shops so I can read the second instalment whenever I like.

I spent yesterday reading the third book of one of my favourite trilogies - The Demon's Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan (I promise no spoilers). I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was told from an unexpected point of view - Sin, who was a minor character in The Demon's Lexicon and a supporting character at best in The Demon's Surrender, but she was always an attractive and compelling character and I was keen to see how she stood up to more page-time. The answer is very well, and she's now tied with Mae for the position of my favourite character.

/end gushing.

Anyway, my longing for the final book in the trilogy has now been satisfied and the list of books I am eagerly anticipating is now shorter by one item. Which got me thinking - what books are you guys looking forward to? And why? :)

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I've always thought that a successful trilogy or series really says a lot about a writer's ability. You have to create characters that people care about and want to read more about. Great skill.

    Since becoming a blogging nut I've come across so many awesome writers, many of them have books coming out this year so looking forward to reading theirs.

    Have a great weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just finished The Pain Merchants (US title, The Shifter), I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series, Blue Fire.

    Though the book I'm most looking forward to is Ghost Story, the 13th book of The Dresden Files. The previous book, Changes, took the status quo and obliterated it. While I didn't enjoy the book as much as the rest of the series, I'm still eager to see what Jim Butcher's got planned next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to Charles Stross' "Rule 34" which is apparently something of a follow-on book from "Halting State". It's pure nerd-core stuff, and Stross is someone who's been in the industry, and as a result knows how not to trigger the disbelief centres in a techy's head.

    It's also cool, because he stated on his blog that one of the main protagonists is genderqueer. It's only a few weeks away, but I'm desperately looking forward to it. It may skip a few places in my big old To-Read list (although Demon's Surrender will come before that).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!