Friday, June 3, 2011

Article on Writing.ie - Halves and Steps

I have an article appearing on Writing.ie this week. It's about half-siblings, Irish schools in the early 90s and explaining things to daft teachers. I'm sure most of the people reading this can identify with that last one at least, particularly those of you who are actually teachers and don't get to say goodbye to your daft colleagues forever once summer comes. . . . :)

This isn't just a shameless plug (but if you've ever wondered what I look like outside my profile picture on Blogger, here's your chance to see. And yes, I always wear that much black). Well, it isn't just a shameless plug for me. Writing.ie is a great site, and regardless of the Irish domain name, it isn't just aimed at Irish writers. It has lots to offer everyone and is well worth bookmarking - especially the forums, which have great lists of submission opportunities and contests.

They also accept pieces like mine on an ongoing basis - there is one up there courtesy of Barbara Scully, whom some of you know from her blog, From My Kitchen Table.

I'm flying to the States in the morning for a week's holiday so I'm taking a short blog hiatus. I had planned to schedule posts to run while I was away, but this week was insanely busy and time just got away from me, so I'm afraid there will be nothing but pink tea and silence here til June 13th.

Hope you all have a lovely week and I'm looking forward to catching up with you when I get back :)

7 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds very intriguing - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, very nice piece you've written over there. And you are just lovely in both pics. Have fun in the states.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i hope you have a nice Holiday! I'm off to check out the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness what a wonderful family!!! Great that you all get on anyway but I do see how difficult it must have been to others when you were trying to explain your half/step siblings when at school!! I enjoyed reading the article, thank you!

    Have a fun holiday!! See you soon! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks D. U. :)

    Karen, it's very kind of you to say so! And rest assured I will have lots of fun in the US!

    Thanks Sarah, hope you enjoy!

    Glad you liked it, Kitty - it has become *so* much easier to explain since divorce was legalised here in 1996, but before that it could be quite tough! Apart from that, I've always really liked being a half-only-child :) And my siblings are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely picture! Have a brilliant time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sarah! So far it's been great :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!