Monday, April 25, 2011

Unpublished - not a dirty word! A-Z Blogging Challenge

I keep seeing the word 'pre-published' around the net.

I like the confidence, the audacity in the word. I like the idea of people so sure it will happen that they are pre-, not un-.

But I don't use it. If I'm wrong, and I never get published, I don't want people to say, after I'm dead, 'Poor bitch was so sure and yet she never got there . . . '

I don't mind being unpublished. Even Shakespeare was born unpublished.

I write because I love it. I want to be published. I work towards being published. I'm not there yet and I'm OK with it. I'm on my path and it will happen when I write the right book.

If you're sure that you're pre-published, go ahead and call yourself that :) but there's not a damned thing wrong with calling yourself unpublished either!

5 comments:

  1. I've never come across any writer who refers to themselves "pre-published"! Wow!!! Are they serious?!?!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm unpublished. I tell people I'm a professional writer working for quarters (which is true), and that I'm closer every day. I met a woman while out for breakfast and she asked me my name when I told her I was a writer. I told her. She said she'd look for my books. I didn't tell her none were out there because one day I will be published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, I hate the term 'pre-published'. It's right up there with 'pre-owned' instead of second hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I have come across pre-published also. I am unpublished...hopefully I won't always be unpublished but there you go.

    Pre published sounds a mite on the trite side. LOL...I am just too much for a Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post - and I've seen agents refer to that term before in blog posts and they HATE it.

    A writer is a writer, but you are either published or unpublished.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!