Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quote Queen - A-Z Blogging Challenge

I'm not going to post about query letters today, in spite of the fact my mind keeps turning to them and they begin with Q (I'm making some major revisions to my current WIP and I'm wondering how these will play in a query letter. Maybe I should write the bloody thing first!). I have nothing helpful or smart to say about query letters that hasn't already been said by Miss Snark, Nathan Bransford, Query Shark, Kristin Nelson or other Smart Blog Folk.

Instead, since I mentioned Dorothy Parker recently, I'm going to share a few of my favourite quotes.

I love Dorothy Parker. She is most famous for the string of wonderful quotes she left trailing in her wake (I like to imagine her roaming narrow streets between Art Deco skyscrapers, fag in hand, dressed in a black silk dress slightly too large for her, leaving a stream of inky black quotations written on the very walls of New York). But her short stories are excellent - laugh-out-loud funny in places and unbearably tragic in others.

But today is Q for Quote Queen and not S for Short Story Superheroine, so to brighten up your morning, have some Dorothy:

'Salary is no object; I want only enough to keep body and soul apart.'

'This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.'

'If all the young ladies who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, no one would be the least surprised.'

'I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at it.'

'This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.'

'Drink and dance and laugh and lie, love the reeling midnight through, for tomorrow we shall die (but alas we never do)!'

'If you wear a short enough skirt, the party will come to you.'

'So, you're the man who can't spell 'fuck.' ' (To Norman Mailer, who had acquiesced to his publisher's request to replace the word 'fuck' in The Naked and the Dead with 'fug'.)

'If you have any young friends who aspire to become writers, the second greatest favor you can do them is to present them with copies of The Elements of Style. The first greatest, of course, is to shoot them now, while they’re happy.'

And finally, a line from her famous short story, Big Blonde, which tends to nudge the reader towards carpe-diem-ing:

'There was nothing separate about her days. Like drops on the window-pane, they ran together and trickled away.'

11 comments:

  1. Hey Sweetie!

    I went right over to the site link you gave me and I'm very impressed! And as soon as I can I'll submit something to them...this looks like an awesome site I'll visit often as well. I put a link to it on my link page.

    BTW I loved the post today! A few even got me laughing.

    I hope you're having a wonder day hon! It's hot and muggy here...how is it there?

    Big hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the quotes :) Writing.ie is great, worth bookmarking!

    Weather here is strangely warm actually, usually April here is kind of chaneable and rainy, but I'm looking out at lovely hazy sun and it's warm enough to leave my scarf at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy you blog...you always come up with interesting things to say!

    Yes, I link them and you up on my link page...now I can get to you both faster than before. I tried to use your header but couldn't grab it (like I did the other sites) so I hope you don't mind I used your picture.

    Yes, we're in summer weather here as well...seems in the past few years we get cold cold winters and hot hot summers and no more spring or fall weather...I hate that.

    NO SCARF!!!??? Wow!!! It sounds like a very nice day there...I know what you mean about the scarf...I wear mine all winter long here.

    Are you ever going to come to America? To visit? If you do I hope you'll come my way...I'd love to meet you in person. I can just imagine the things you could tell me about Ireland.

    Big hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind you using the picture at all - I keep meaning to design a nice header but I am lazy!

    I'm actually going to the States for a few days in June, but just to New York to stay with a cousin and her husband - sadly I won't get to venture father afield this time! I always dreamed of touring America (will need a driving licence first though!) so someday! Where exactly are you?

    Anyway, you may make it to Ireland first - I'll introduce you to Tayto crisps and red lemonade if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sweetie,

    {:-O I like you're header. It makes me smile 'writer in training'

    OMG...and I was suppose to be in New York in July, but didn't have this book done so I cancelled out.
    Here is me private e-addie
    houstonawknight@tampabay.rr.com
    I live in vacation land 'Florida'
    ...south of New York.

    LOL...you don't drive in Ireland? They'll let you use that licence to get around while you're visiting here.

    Oh you'll enjoy New York the best shopping in the world besides LA! I really wished I could have made it to the Nationals this year...but, just couldn't get me book done.
    I'm helping a CP get there tho'...we'll have her book polished and ready very soon. Then I can focus on mine and submit the old fashioned way.

    Oh Tayto crisps and red Lemonade sound like me cup of tea...I'd so love to be coming your way...I really want to see my homeland...problem is you'll never get me to leave. LOL

    Big hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a licence here yet, though I'm working on it! Dublin is a very compact city so you don't need to drive here as much as in most places, which is useful :)

    Wow, delighted for your CP! Hope it all goes well. I'd love to visit the South, will definitely swing my Florida and say hi if I'm in the area! Cheers for the email, mine is firstname.lastname@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm ashamed to say I've never read a Dorothy Parker short story. This post reminds me that I want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love the skirt quote!!!! How funny is that?!?! And how true!! LOL!!! Thanks for such a fun and witty post! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dammit, you got my Q idea! Awesome quotes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the Millionaire quote. I know I would be darling at it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some really great quotes!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!