Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hot Drinks: A Rant - A-Z Blogging Challenge

I recently bought a sachet of hot chocolate to have at my desk. I won't name the brand, because it was very nice and doesn't deserve the rage that I am about to heap on it.

The directions on the side instructed me to 'Brew it in your favourite mug. . .'

I cannot explain what happened next. All I know is that for the remainder of the afternoon - while enjoying the drink, by the way - I was working away as usual, but in the back of my head was the mantra 'I am a grown up. Do not tell me what mug to use!'

Now, I know that they do it to present their product as a luxurious experience, something to be savoured. Which is quite a responsible thing to do actually, because if one uses treaty food like chocolate as a quick snack on the go, one is essentially ingesting wasted calories and fat and junk and not enjoying them. One does this a lot, you see, so one knows what one is talking about.

But honestly. I don't need to be told how to enjoy hot chocolate. I am twenty-seven years old and have mastered the art of enjoying things.

Equally, even though I love them, 15 Minute Organic Teas bother me. When I first saw them, I thought 'But herbal tea doesn't take fifteen minutes to brew. . . ' and then I read the packet. They are not called 15 Minute Teas because they take fifteen minutes to brew, but rather to encourage the drinker to take fifteen minutes out of their busy lives to relax with a cup of tea.

Thanks. But if I need to take fifteen minutes, I'll know myself. I don't need a box of tea to tell me, although I appreciate the thought.

Yes, I am ridiculously over-sensitive. Eventually you kind of learn to live with it. . .

9 comments:

  1. :-)

    I like the packet of biscuits with the helpful illustration of a plate with said biscuits on it and the words "suggestion of how to serve".

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty, what ever happened to the old fashioned 'chow down like Pac-man method' that is still favoured in my house??

    Be careful, Paul. They may contain nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you through A-Z. Great posts for the challenge-I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another example of the nanny state mentality! Open book. Spend an hour each night reading.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Open chocolate bar wrapping. Eat bar, being careful not to eat too much at once. Cancel out calories of chocolate with thirty minute run up and down stairs. Repeat as needed."

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol! I love your "I am 27.." line that is great! Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serious chocolate eaters/drinkers don't need advice. If we can't do it our way we get a wee bit tetchy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad I'm not alone in finding this annoying :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!