Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bill

It's kind of fitting that B in the A-Z Blogging Challenge should fall today.

You see, today is the sixth anniversary of my dad's death. His name was Bill.

Actually, it was William, and when he was growing up his family called him Liam, but once he moved to England in his early twenties he was always Bill. English people in the 1960s had some trouble pronouncing Liam (this was before Mr. Gallagher). After being called Leon for weeks, he tried explaining that Liam was the Irish for William. . . and instead everyone called him Bill, and it stuck. It suited him.

I don't have much to add to the blogfest today, just that it's been six years since he passed away and he's still sadly missed. And I'm thinking of everyone who has lost a loved one today - we know we don't need an excuse to remember them, but on certain days we think of them more. This is one of mine.

12 comments:

  1. It's amazing that people found Liam so hard to pronounce! Amazing. Here's to Bill. Cheers! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how times change? No one in England has much trouble with common Irish names now!

    I know some of them probably can't pronounce Caoilfhionn or Finghin, but to be honest most Irish people get those wrong too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely post Ellen, thank you. It amuses me too to think that the English had trouble with Liam :)

    Now, some of the female Irish names, that I could understand. They look beautiful written down but I'm too scared to try saying them out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, so are we sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems obvious now that you've said it but I didn't know Liam = William.

    It doesn't matter how long the post...the heart is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for you today. I lost my dad 2.5 years ago yesterday, so I know how you feel. Some days you need to focus on yourself and pay tribute to those you love. Take care of yourself today. My heart is with you.

    Rosie
    East for Green Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel for you today. I lost my dad 2.5 years ago yesterday, so I know how you feel. Some days you need to focus on yourself and pay tribute to those you love. Take care of yourself today. My heart is with you.

    Rosie
    East for Green Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Stephanie :)

    Rosie, sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you and your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lost my dad over 15 years ago and his name was William also. It doesn't seem that long. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, sorry to hear of your loss - it never seems as long as it is, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellen, Rosie, Donna, I'm sorry for all of you.

    My dad's still around, but in a way I can relate. It's been five years now since my brother died.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks William, sorry to hear of your loss too. It's always especially hard to lose someone too early.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!