Thursday, January 6, 2011

Feature Writing

You may remember me mentioning a feature writing course that I took in late 2010.

It's starting again, for ten weeks this time, in the Irish Writers' Centre on January 31st. Details are here: http://www.writerscentre.ie/html/courses/featurehenry.html

I found the course really good. I had wanted to write features for years but had no idea how to start. I read a lot (you may have gathered), I love to write and I enjoy newspaper features, but I just had no clue where to start. I didn't know how to think of things to write about, which is a pretty fundamental problem, and when something interesting did strike me, once a year, I had no idea how to express it.

Henry's course was very practical and tackled both of those issues head on. Each week we submitted a short piece, usually 300-500 words, for feedback (I actually called a friend of mine after the first class and said 'OMG a Guardian journalist will be reading my stuff OMG!!' for about thirty seconds. I am not making this up). Getting that kind of individual feedback from an experienced, working journalist was excellent and really helped.

If you're looking for a good feature writing class in Dublin, I highly recommend this one. Feel free to drop me an email (firstname.lastname at gmail dot com) if you have any questions and I'd be happy to tell you anything you want to know.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen.
    I think you write quite well as it may be seen in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's nice of you to say so :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you do any job apart from write? study?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a job, I work 9 - 5.30 Monday to Friday in an office.

    I don't talk about it here for confidentiality reasons - and also because there isn't very much to say about it really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine that you say that because your job is boring as many of them are.
    Do you speak in other forums apart from this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just this one at the moment.

    How about you, do you blog anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don not. I am new in these issues.I have just found a nice way to meet people to talk to.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!