Monday, December 6, 2010

Microfiction Monday!


Susan at Stony River has given us a great picture for Microfiction Monday this week - my story is below.

***

Some Saturdays, when Tony arrived in the old graveyard, he wished that someone else would come along at the weekends to help him clip back the briars.


This story is definitely one for my father, who liked to put on his oldest clothes at weekends and wander around our suburb clipping back dangerous briars. The late playwright and columnist Hugh Leonard wrote a column about his habit of doing the same thing, which made us wonder if there were middle-aged men all over Dublin spending their free time ensuring that paths were briar-free. Dad wrote to Hugh Leonard to let him know that he wasn't alone and I still have a card - somewhere - that he received back.

When we lived in an apartment block, Dad used to pop out in the evenings and do small odd-jobs in the common areas. He was a marine engineer so no one could complain that he was unqualified to do them, but since no one ever seemed to see him do it, I often wondered if people thought the building was haunted by the ghost of an obsessive-complusive janitor, or if they knew there was someone living there who liked to find practical ways to fill his evenings once the Daily Mirror Quizword was done.

20 comments:

  1. I'm with Tony. I wouldn't want to be there working alone either! Good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your take on this prompt immensely. There's something peaceful about being in a cemetery and caring for part of it.

    I'm new to the game: Irony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story about your father! Takes us back to a day when people did things because they "just needed doing". That's part of the attitude that helped that generation survive the war!

    Thanks for the great MFM and story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like your MM, Ellen.

    My first impression was loneliness, but your explanation added a whole new dimension!

    :Dom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the backstory about your father.
    Made the MF so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for adding what made you think of what youu wrote. It makes so much sense!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the backstory to your microfiction - very unique and good on your dad!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little story about your Dad, it made the MM even better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos to the briar-clipping men of Dublin! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Next time I see a briar, I'm going to clip it! Of course mine are more figurative than real and seem to be everywhere in my path...

    Great story Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those darn briers just keep growing, don't they?
    Enjoyed your MM this week. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is very sweet. Lovely background to the micro. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed the micro, and the back story. Anyone who volunteers to clip briar, or otherwise mess with it, is a brave and noble soul. We have something similar here called puncture vine--it is and it does--through leather...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I'd like Tony's job either! Clever take!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tribute to your dad. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the nice comments guys :) I feel adding the backstory was cheating, because it takes it outside the 140 character limit, but I think the story would stand alone without it - albeit it might sound a little sadder!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic! I wouldn't want to clip briars there alone either... and the backstory about your dad was very cool. I'm not that inspired to work around my own house, let alone when I lived in an apartmnet complex - he must have quite the work ethic!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!