Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Upcoming Writing Adventures!

I have a few writing adventures coming up, and I was thinking it might be fun to blog about them.

First of all, I have signed up for a class in feature writing. I've always wanted to write features well (I wrote some for the college papers but let it slide badly after I graduated) and there's a great-looking six-week course starting in Dublin on September 23rd.

And secondly, we are approaching the dreaded November - yes, it's Nanowrimo time again! A lot of writers don't like the idea of Nano, and that's fair enough (I'll probably blog about this again at some point), but I love it. It's one of the highlights of my year, even when I fail horribly and have to spend the month decidedly un-busy and surrounded by well-meaning friends who say things like 'Wow, I'm holding you up, you should get back to your novel!'. To which I respond, 'No. I really shouldn't. Trust me.'

My recent period of blog-quietness was also a period of writing-quietness. I'm revisiting some old projects and tinkering with some new ones, but I could use a shot in the arm. Fortunately I have shots in both arms coming up - and conveniently, my course finishes a few days before November, so I can come down slowly from thinking in a serious and journalisty fashion before Nanowrimo unleashes itself upon me again.

Can't wait :)

6 comments:

  1. Good to see you back on your blog, Ellen. I hope you got lots of writing accomplished. I've also been covered in computer/paper/revision piles. And I've decided to focus on fixing up an earlier MS which means even more time writing. Call me crazy, right?

    I've never done a Nano before--usually revising till the the hour for the Golden Heart writing contest. But this year, I may have to go for it. I plan to send out all my GH entries by the end of October.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always avoided Nano too. What I really need is NaNoFinMo - National Novel Finishing Month. Perhaps I could treat finishing my WIP draft as my Nano?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you're getting back to your projects. If you need a proofreader, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, best of luck with your GH entries :D More important than Nanowrimo, but more stressful too!

    Simon, I know that feeling, finishing is the hardest part for me too. The Nano rules say you can't count pre-written work but you could always use Nano to motivate yourself.

    Paul - noted :) I will be hassling you at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe it's nearly time for Nano again!

    (There is a strange snobbishness that people sometimes have about it. I suspect these are the same people who introduce themselves as parties with 'I'm a writer' and write two sentences a year.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Simon - I need a novel finishing month! Of course, I'll be writing along with the rest of us...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!