Thursday, September 16, 2010

Inkwell Newsletter

The Inkwell Newsletter has just arrived in my inbox. It's a great read, and worth checking out for all writers - it's Irish-based, but they always have plenty of information about contests, submission opportunities and such, and not just for Irish markets.

Inkwell also run classes in south county Dublin (one of my illustrious relatives is involved in teaching for Inkwell, as is my old writing teacher Claire and the popular Irish publishing blogger Eoin Purcell).

This month, Vanessa O'Loughlin, the lady behind it all, writes:

Some of you already know that I am looking for proposals from anyone who might be interested in taking over Inkwell. My 6year old has been diagnosed with autism and ADD and is going to need a lot more of my time, so I am faced with the choice of selling the business or downscaling it. Having spent 4 years building a nationally recognized brand that is poised for growth, it seems a shame for it not to realize its potential. I would love to see it continue to grow, it can be run from home and would be ideal for one person, or two people who could focus on the different aspects of the business, the workshops on one side and the online services on the other. It's a global market - the website gets up to 100,000 impressions a month and this newsletter goes out to 1000 keen writers. Its also a brilliant platform for networking in the publishing community. If any of you are interested, or have a proposal, do get in touch Vanessa@inkwellwriters.ie/ 087 2835382. In the meantime your newsletter will continue to arrive as normal!

I'm posting this partly to help get the word out (albeit in a small way as most of my followers aren't Irish) but also because I don't think I've ever mentioned the newsletter before and it's a genuinely great resource. And now might be a nice time for the number of subscribers to go up, to give Vanessa an even more attractive package to offer a prospective successor.

5 comments:

  1. What a shame when such a brilliant resource comes under threat. Still I guess she will find a taker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and me should quit our day jobs, get a business loan and run a company!

    ...

    ok, maybe I'm living in lala land but as I read it the thought did go through my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It crossed my mind too - although I'm not sure you quitting your job would necessarily work, because your job would lend us some gravitas as a team. . .

    Ahem. Yes, lala land indeed. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Ellen - go for it! I do hope someone takes it over cos yep it is a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Barbara!

    By the way, did you get an invitation to the launch of A Pint and a Haircut? I'm going along as my mum's guest.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!