Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jenny Cruise Gets Poetic About Rats

Guys, if you are writers, stop what you're doing right now and read this.

Or if you don't have time, just read this bit:

What’s the worst that can happen? You never get published or the book of your heart tanks, and you never reach your goal, but at the end of your life you look back and say, “I had a dream and I fought for it, I believed in myself and my work, and I never, ever gave up.” That’s a life well lived, folks, a helluva lot better than, “I had a dream but it wasn’t realistic so I quit and watched television.” Do not let reality push you around, do not be sensible and kill your own dreams, and for the love of God do not let people who are only guessing about what’s going to happen next tell you that you’re a fool for believing in yourself and your stories.

If you want to write, or worse again, if you realised when you were young that you wanted to write and like an idiot, actually told people - then you'll be familiar with the awful phrase 'Yeah, but what do you really want to do?' That drives me especially nuts, because it goes beyond suggesting that doing it is stupid - it implies that dreaming of it is stupid.

Not so much, actually. Someone has to make it. And if we're one of the 99.9% who don't, who cares? Once we tried, once we went for it, who can say that it's a waste of time?

11 comments:

  1. I loved this post, Ellen. That's so true, and the whole reason why I started out on this journey. I didn't want to say: why did I never even try?

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellen -I read the linked post. Its so true. I agree with Talli - It's far worse not to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Ellen - great point. Great, great point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link and thanks for the kick in the pants. Very inspirational! Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a great quote. Thanks for pointing us towards the article! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was great and well said from every angle! I agree at least as writers we tried, it isn't always about succeeding sometimes it's just about the passion and love behind it all.

    BTW you must share your secrets!!! I'd love to know where you found the podcast so we can use the same one!!! If you don't mind when you find a free moment email the link to jenniferdaiker(at)gmail(dot)com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Email follows any second now, Jen :)

    Glad everyone liked Jenny Cruise's post. More positivity on this journey is never a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I write because I love it. It's part of who I am. Jenny C is a talent and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words I needed to hear today! Enjoying the pleasure of writing is always challenged by the desire for publishing my work. Striking the balance between the two is my struggle these days.

    Thanks for your awesome comment on my blog recently. Wish I could shoot over to Ireland while on vacation and share a cup of tea with you!

    Maybe some day...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if you're ever in Ireland, let me know! Enjoy your trip :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!