Monday, June 14, 2010

In Praise of Followers

When I hit fifty followers, I didn't post about it, even though I was really happy. I'm superstitious (some would say 'paranoid and insane') and I was sure that if I posted to say 'Yay, fifty followers!' I'd suddenly lose a bunch of followers and everyone would think 'She can't count, poor dear. . .' (I can't).

But as Donna Hosie recently hit 50 and made a post about it, I felt a bit bad about the lack of follower-love around these parts.

I like to follow the blogs I like, because I often surf into a blog, read one entry, really enjoy it and then realise I'm late for something else and have to dash out of the house. So I click 'Follow' to make sure I can find it later, and then I find I have a delightful feed of content onto my Blogger Dashboard every day. I also generally follow people back once they follow my blog (if you think we have something in common, you're probably right). If you follow me, and I don't follow you, it's just because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to click 'Follow', or to read an entry, post a comment, visit one of my followers - because a huge part of this whole blogging thing is finding people and connecting.

I started my blog because I read so many writing and publishing blogs, and I had thoughts on them, and I wanted to post my thoughts somewhere, rather than just commenting on what other people said. Also, I was coming back to writing after some time away from it, and I wanted to post honestly and openly about the challenges we can face, to offer some sort of comfort in the face of those geniuses who spew out magnificent words all day and drive the rest of us to despair. We are not all like that, I wanted to say. Some of us spend our lives finding new ways to mess stuff up.

I have found, though, that the best thing about blogging isn't having space to vent, or 'platform-building', or even changing the layout five times a day before reverting to the original one. It's the people, who are constantly fun, engaging, interesting and compelling. It's great to post saying 'This disaster happened to my novel!' and have someone post back saying 'Oh, you too? I thought it was just me. . . .!'

All readers are great. Followers are great. That is all. :D

10 comments:

  1. YAY for follower love! The support and advice is totally invaluable, and I'm very glad to have been an early follower of you, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Here's to your next 50! Personally I don't know how I managed to resist blogging for so long! It continues to be a such a blast!

    Have a lovely day
    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree - it's a wonderful sense of community. And congrats on all the followers by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your last paragraph. I do it for the people, the relationships, the camaraderie with other writers. And that I can "talk" to writers in Dublin like you is just so cool! Congrats on the followers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blog! I'm a new author and have enjoyed this new experience. I find that it's the most difficult and most rewarding. I'm also a graphic designer and love having that creative outlet as well.
    Thanks for your post! I will be back for more updates. :-)

    Melissa Nielsen
    frommysomewhatseriousmind.blogspot.com www.printhis.biz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all :)

    Melissa, I popped over to your blog, looking forward to reading more! Although I'll tell you something weird - that book of decorated cupcakes you posted images from? I was looking at it in one of the bookshops in Dublin last Monday. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, great post! It's so true, the best thing about blogging is our wonderful community, the back-and-forth about this crazy writing thing we do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi from the US, Ellen. Count me in! Now what I want to know is what is pink tea and where can I get it? I love unusual tea (my favorite to date, being some vanilla, lavender butterscotch thingie I had in a Greenwich village tea house) but pink tea sounds like it might be a common thing for you. Do you mean hibiscus tea? It's kind of deep red. Anyway! see you around the blogosphere, and thanks for all the nice things you said on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your followers! Blogging is great, isn't it? It's so cool to connect with people from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 63 followers... go you! Congratulations. I love the connection part of blogging too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!