Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dispatches from the Thingie

Rather successful writers' group last night, even if we were all slightly giddy and giggly for much of it.

Achievements

1. Lunchbox is now a verb. And it doesn't refer to making packed lunches, or anything dirty :)
2. We have secured access to cute pictures of cygnets. I will post one with the photographer's permission when I have one.
3. It was our six-month anniversary!
4. One tube of Jaffa Cakes was demolished by two people. Fine example of cooperation in action.
5. Some writing got done.
6. I have a plot!

Writers' groups are fun.

And I have a plot! Here's how I found it, just in case it might be helpful to someone stuck:

I opened my notebook and started a conversation with myself. I wrote this by hand - it's more effective for me when I'm brainstorming, because I'm always loath to scribble things out, but I delete constantly when I write on a computer. But typing could work really well for this too, because it's so quick.
My opening sentences were 'OK then so how can I work it that these two guys were killing people??? Or hurting them or something, they have to be doing something pretty bad.'
Somehow, twenty minutes of similar drivel later, I had a plot.

Not quite all of it - if I knew exactly what was going to happen, I couldn't write it. But I have a fairly solid plot up until about halfway through, and then the final half depends a lot on how my character responds to what I'm throwing at him. That should be fun to discover.

So yes, overall a great evening. Toffypops always help.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you found your elusive plot! Well done! :)

    And well done on Jaffa Cakes, too. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was considering approaching them for sponsorship :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so lucky to have a writing group like that! (I am currently rewriting an entire draft of my novel by hand.)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!