Friday, April 16, 2010

Impending Big Thing-age

Yes, I have been asking Joss Whedon to write my blog post titles. It's kind of you to notice!

I came across this on Twitter today - what will be the next Twilight?

Yeah. You know the way writers are told never to try to predict the Next Big Thing? You know how we're told not to fixate on being the anomalous JKR/Stephenie Meyer type? You know how we're told the write the book we want to write because we want to write it, and not because we've identified the hottest trend and want to cash in?

Well, d'you ever wonder where we get the idea to think like that in the first place? *grin* I mean that good-naturedly, Publishing Industry, of course you have to think ahead and we shouldn't. I just find it funny.

This week I've been thinking a lot about finishing books. Some of you might remember my writing pal who finished a trilogy at Christmas - I'm almost done reading the last book in that trilogy, and tomorrow I head out to his place for tea, lunch and finally finding out what happens!

It's time for another shout-out, though - my long-time writing friend and blog follower Paul has just finished the first draft of his first novel too :D So big congratulations to him too!

I'm feeling wholly inadequate at the moment, though! My fun notebook story is crying for attention and I have another few busy days ahead before I can get back to it. Rosie wants some revising, and when she wants something, you tend to hear about it. Finishing these two stories is like an itch I can't scratch.

And I'm very glad to have this itch back, it vanished there for a while. Unfortunately, the only way I can make time to scratch the itch this weekend is to set my alarm clock for tomorrow an hour earlier than planned. I'll be tired but thoroughly scratched.

Wait, that came out wrong. I should get someone else to write my posts too :)

13 comments:

  1. Good to have the itch. Good luck with that!

    as mine sits gathering dust...
    I'm starting to think it's not possible to work on several projects at the same. That's how my brain works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh

    Thanks for that link. At least now I know that the next big thing may or may not be a whole genre involving a camp vampire and an angel sidekick.

    :-)

    Glad you've got your itch back too!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post, Ellen. Hope you have a lovely weekend and find some time to work on those stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out. Now to get the revision out of the way and start work on book 2.

    Get that notebook stuff typed up so we can read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a good point. Writers seem to get caught between publishers looking for the next big trend and writing what is hot in the market. But is it so true to write what you're passionate about and what's important to you. I hope you get some writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have an awesomely productive writing weekend! Sounds like you;re ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha the ending made me giggle!!

    I hope you have a great writing weekend with the writing juices flowing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am working on a WIP that's in it's fourth revision. I just got back a contest entry that confirmed the current draft's direction. I got great scores, but didn't final. However, they loved my writing voice and overall not a shabby placing (in the top ten and only missed finaling by 3.5 points). Any rate, I am revising it again, but I'm certain it's been "done before" -- new twists are hard to come up with, but I believe I do have the start of one. If it flies, I will be thrilled, but it may not. Then it's time to take the knowledge I've gained in working and massaging this baby into the best shape it can get into and apply it to my NEXT book.

    I am working on a YA series--very very fledgling. Just brainstorming. Very FEW trusted people know about my idea. The writing universe has a weird synergy. It's like we all get the same ideas or versions of the same theme at the same time regardless of the genre.

    It's like when I was pregnant. I only noticed other pregnant people. And so on.

    I hope you get your babies polished. Keep writing and keep on revising!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your writing weekend went as planned and you spent some time with your fun notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the nice comments, guys - I didn't get much done at the weekend, but I had a lovely weekend so I don't mind too much! The notebook is stashed in my backpack and writing continues this week - can't wait!

    Pat, I'm the same as you, I can't work consistently on two things. I can work on one and tinker with the other, but writing the first drafts has to be separate. We should start a club, I bet there's a few of us. . .

    Christine, congratulations on the contest, you did so well :D You must be really pleased. Good luck with your fledgling idea - ideas at that stage can be great fun because there's so much potential, it could be anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellen I wanted to respond to you about your Quirks! I loved them, and I don't always have time to comment back but this one was special!!!

    I never brush my hair before showering, however I don't find it weird I find it smart! Smart enough to want to try it when I get home this evening!

    I am glad I'm not the only one about the toothbrush, however I go as far as to changing mine out every 2 weeks, there is just something about a toothbrush too long!

    Your last one is what got me to leave a comment over here... it's not crazy, at least I don't think so and that's because I do it too, not with the license plate registration but that's because I don't have those. I am a counter, it's my OCD habit and it's becomes a little nutty at times, however the digital clock thing I can so relate too, I count the blinds too at my house, so I just wanted to let you know you're not alone!! Hehe I suppose we're both a little nutty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, I'm so glad we both do that! We should start a club :D I noticed when I was in college that most of my friends who were only children had weird number-related habits, are you an only child by any chance? Or are you just about to blow my pattern wide open? :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately I've just blown your patter wide open, I am the oldest of three girls.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!