Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Squee!


I'm all happy now :D I got another blog award! Many thanks to Guinevere, whose blog deserves more out-checking.

Here's my list:

10 Things That Make Me Happy

1. Writing. Not always, but it enriches my life so much, even when it's going badly. There's no feeling in the world to match that moment when you see a new direction for a character, or come up with a new idea.

2. Books. Pretty much all of them.

3. Tea. Camomile is my current favourite. Before that, I used to drink loads of pink tea, hence the name of this blog. Favourite pink teas are Twinings Orange, Mango & Cinnamon (my Formula One tea) and Barry's Very Berry. For proper, caffeine-y tea, Barry's is my tea of choice, with no sugar and a reasonable dollop of milk. Yes, I do have more to say about tea than books. Surprised, anyone?

4. Family, friends and loved ones. Can't stress this one enough. Really. But I won't go on about it as I don't know how cool any of them are with being discussed in Blogland. Just be assured that they are great.

5. Chocolate. Very nearly as much as the one above :p

6. Music. My taste in music is very wide-ranging. I like everything from good stuff to terrible stuff. And I walk a lot, and I have long bus journeys into work, so I listen to a lot of music.


7. Dublin. I complain about it quite a lot, but I really do love Dublin. Georgian houses, lots of trees, good cafes, small quirky shops, cobblestones, Stephen's Green, Phoenix Park, the Dart, Blackrock Market, Ranelagh and Rathmines, history, craic, great people, lots of pubs and cafes. Apart from the cost of living, the weather and the traffic, what's not to love?

8. Travelling. Ah, Dublin. How getting away from you rocks.
Really, though, I love travelling. I love figuring out what's the best way to get the airport, and what time I have to be there. I love looking up articles about places on Wikitravel, and buying guidebooks is one of my secret vices. I love arriving somewhere new and getting to know it, seeing new things, and then coming home to bore the very pants of everyone about the 'little differences' without even a hint of Pulp Fiction allusion. I can talk for hours about the differences between pub food in Ireland and Britain, where to get the best hot chocolate in Amsterdam (Bagels and Beans. They're a chain, and you must go), my favourite bookshop in London (Skoob in the Brunswick Centre in Bloomsbury) or what spire in Prague is the prettiest.
Now, aren't you glad you don't know me in real life? Except those of you who do :p

9. Cork. I'm bracing myself for an onslaught of missiles thrown by Corkonians for this, but the Republic's second city (pardon me while I duck) never gets the recognition it deserves, so here's a little plug from me.
Cork is lovely. The people are pleasingly mad (I can say that because my father was from Cork, you see, so it's not prejudice) and it's like Dublin would be with less globalisation. Small Irish chain stores often survive here after they've died in Dublin due to the high retail rents. There are more knitting shops per head of population than I have ever seen anywhere, and they also have Vibes and Scribes, an utterly kickass independent bookshop where you can find all manner of weird and wonderful things. It's been over two years since I was last there but just knowing Cork is nestled down there waiting for me is really lovely.

10. Baking. I'm throwing this one in because I feel most of the things I've mentioned are quite big things - writing, family, friends, books, my city. Baking isn't a major life-defining Thing for me, but I do love it. I tend to zone out slightly when I do it, which is always nice (doesn't everyone love those switch-off-this-part-of-brain, switch-on-other-part activities?) and you get something nice to eat at the end of it all. I made cinnamon muffins on Sunday, my first ever muffins and they turned out well.
I'm an insecure baker, though. I keep asking people's opinions of what I make. Be warned, it gets annoying :)

Now, to pass the award on - well, I've passed on lots of awards lately, and I have a very short follow list, and I don't want to force people to give over their entire blog schedule to awards and memes. So I'm going to take a novel approach here (that is a pune or play on words, Pratchett fans):
If you read or follow my blog, if you ever comment, or if I read yours, please consider yourself a winner of the Happy 101 award and take it if you wish :) If you fall into any of those categories, what the hell, you deserve an award. Help yourselves.

4 comments:

  1. Hi

    I like you "Squee!" headline!

    Great to know you love baking - I've only started seriously baking in the last year or so... I have a "Christmas cake" brewing under liberal doses of Drambuie in my cupboard since November - will turn it into a Simnel Cake for Easter..!

    :-)

    Congratulations with your blog award!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your award. The only problem with baking in my house, is there are only two of us to eat it and that bodes badly for the waistline. I still enjoy it though. Nothing like a good cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these sweet little blog awards are making me smile. Congrats on all of yours, Ellen. I'm glad I found your blog because its a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!