Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nice Things About Writing

Christine posted her top ten reasons to love writing, and since I'm still off work sick and feeling utterly miserable, I really needed a nice upbeat post :)

I'm a bit too miserable to come up with ten (you know how it is when you're sick), but as I was pottering about the flat today I did have a very nice thought.

I've been reworking one section of my novel pretty much completely, from the bottom up. Great fun. It's working a lot better the new way (now with conflict!) but I'm not sure where it's going. I know that my premise has completely changed but I'm not sure how the ending will pan out.

I love this.

So as I was folding some clothes this morning, I thought 'Oops. I have no idea how that gets resolved. I know Character A finds out this, and Character B will have to react. But I don't know how. . . Goody!'

OK, I didn't actually say 'goody'. If you're a regular reader, you may have gathered by now that I'm not quite the type. I was very pleased though - my favourite parts of writing are knowing your characters and your situation well, but not so well that they can't surprise you, and then setting out to play with those elements and make stuff happen.

Tomorrow marks a point by which I really wanted this to be finished. It's not, and it's not even close. Luckily, I just found the fun again :)

9 comments:

  1. This is a reminder to me that it's not all hell and someday I will be back in the groove. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Believe me, I've done the hell. Years of it! And it does get better. I hope it does for you, very soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like knowing where I'm going with the story. However, it can be great fun to just write and let it take you where it does =)

    Sorry you're still sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    I like how you were all inspired again! Goody!

    :-)

    Hope you fell better soon.

    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, me too, Old Kitty! Goody, goody! Maybe your brain & body both got rested in your illness, and then you could come back to it refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen: I'm glad you enjoyed the list... you are an inspiration to me. You keep working and you'll get there! I should have included meeting amazing people on line who battle the MS back as I do on my list.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the good wishes, guys :D

    Christine, it's so sweet of you to say I'm an inspiration - you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the good things about writing link. When I'm in the midst of writing a manuscript, the characters are on my mind constantly. I worry about them more than my children, but (of course) they are bigger messes than my children and their lives are much more complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa, I don't have children but I imagine that at least they can tell you what the problem is. . . with characters, I often find myself trying to guess from their actions!

    Glad you liked the link, Christine is one of my favourite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!