Saturday, December 12, 2009

Meme

Christine has tagged me in a meme so I've decided to play :) I don't have enough blog contacts to tag anyone, though, so consider this an open invite to play if you happen to stop by!

So this game of 26-question “meme” goes like this: answer the 26 questions then tag those who have to do it too…
1. What’s the last thing you wrote? What’s the first thing you wrote that you still have?
The last thing I wrote was a scene in my current work-in-progress. The scene took place in a maternity ward. It was very short.
I think that my mother may still have my old stories that I had to write for school - if she does, then that's the first thing I wrote that I still have. If not, then it's the last page of my first novel, which I wrote when I was 12. It was about drug addicts in Liverpool. Yes, really.

2. Write poetry?
Not any more, I'm terrible at it. I was a member of a writing group in college and there were some amazing poets in the group so I wrote poetry for a while to try and emulate them. Also, the 'meet up, write and read what you've written' format of the workshops worked a lot better for short pieces like poems than for novel excerpts. So I wrote bad poetry for a while, and then when I stopped being as active in that group, I found myself going back to prose.

3. Angsty poetry?
Only a few times. No one's perfect!

4. Favorite genre of writing?
Don't have one, will read anything. Probably literary fiction and good women's fiction.

5. Most annoying character you’ve ever created?
Seemingly it's the point-of-view character in the present timeline of my current book. I don't think she's quite that bad. I do dislike her mother, though, but she's fun to write.

6. Best plot you’ve ever created?
No idea, I hope the best one is still to come.

7. Coolest plot twist you’ve ever created?
I don't do twists - not big intake-of-breath twists anyway. Ask me this again in five years.

8. How often do you get writer’s block?
Rarely but intensely.

9. Write fan fiction?
Nope.

10. Do you type or write by hand?

Both. Mostly I type, but I do carry a notebook and if I get bored, I will work on scenes out of continuity to pass the time. Some of my best writing has been done that way. I also started my current work in progress writing by hand but it was just too slow, given that I'm a slow writer anyway.

11. Do you save everything you write?
Not deliberately, but I've never deliberately deleted anything either, so I suppose so.

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you’ve abandoned it?
Yes. I have separation issues.

13. What’s your favorite thing you’ve ever written?
Like most writers, my favourite thing is something I haven't written yet.

14. What’s everyone else’s favorite story that you’ve written?
Most people have read so little of my work that I can't answer that question properly yet!

15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
Romance - no, but I actually would like to. A part of me still believes in happily ever after.
Angsty teen drama - yep. Wrote plenty as a teen, would write more of it now if I wasn't constantly paralysed by terror of patronising teenagers, who are among my favourite demographics. They have so much to face.

16. What’s your favorite setting for your characters?
Ooh, that's tough. The current book is set in Ireland because the plot demands it, but I know Dublin too well to write about it properly. My next book may be set here, but more than likely it will be in London or Edinburgh.

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Current work in progress, this blog, and making notes for what will probably be the next project.

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?
No. Not yet, if you want to be all positive about it :) I did win a prize for English in school.

19. What are your five favorite words?
Tea, holiday, chocolate, book, internet :)

20. What character have you created that is most like yourself?
Probably that point-of-view character in the present timeline that I mentioned before. Superficially, she's very like me.

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?
Everywhere. And once they're in my head, they grow.

22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?
I have done, yep. I have an ongoing very silly WIP that I don't talk about, which started as a dream.

23. Do you favor happy endings?
I prefer slightly ambiguous when I'm writing. I do like happy endings when I read, but an ambiguous ending done well is probably my all-time favourite. And in life, I think I still believe in them :)

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
Yes. It annoys me when I re-read bits if it's wrong.

25. Does music help you write?
I don't tend to listen to music when I write, but listening to music often helps me think about characters and plots. I iron out a lot of book problems on the bus to work with my headphones in.

26. Quote something you’ve written. Whatever pops into your head.
"Rosie barely slept that night. For the rest of her life, she would consider the night after Stephen's second letter arrived the closest she ever came to going mad."

1 comment:

  1. I love your answers! I loved the "I have separation issues" -- you're so funny. Thanks for playing. Now I know you a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!