Thursday, December 31, 2009

Big Shout-Out

A friend of mine, who sadly doesn't have a blog that I can link to, just finished writing his fantasy trilogy.

So I'm taking a moment out from regular blog topics to yell "GO ADAM!" really loudly.

I was there when this book was started. It was in a cafe in Dublin with wrought-iron chairs and tiles on the table-tops. It was dark outside, and we sat beside the floor-to-ceiling windows and stared at the painted mirrors and drank fruit tea and ate muffins and talked about the books we wanted to write. I think the idea had been in his head for a while - I was there when it got refined.

And yesterday afternoon, I was having tea with friends when my phone rang, and it was Adam.
"I wanted you to be the first to know - it's finished! And as soon as I hang up, I'm off to tell my parents."

It's been a privilege to be there from Day One, and it was such a privilege to be the first person to hear that it was finished. It's been such fun hearing about the characters. And it's been painful knowing that my friend, who is supposed to like me and want what is best for me, won't tell me the bloody ending! :D

I'm kidding about that last one - I asked not to be spoiled. So I have no idea how the story ends! But I can't wait to find out.

I'm very happy as a writer, and I'm happy as a writer's friend. But most of all, I'm happy was a reader.

All together now: GO ADAM!!!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, way to go Adam!! Enjoy the first run through the tape at the finish line! A dram of whiskey and a champagne glass filled with bubbly to you!! And then, come the new year, let the revisions begin anew!!

    I love writing THE END!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO, ADAM! Yes, yes, yes!

    And, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, Ellen! If I figure this right, it's already New Year in Dublin and you are fast asleep.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR, Christine! It's always a pleasure to read your comments here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoot! Go Adam!
    It's wonderful to reach the end, and at such a poignant time as well, end of year/decade end of book!

    Brilliant stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello :) Thanks Ellen! I'm liking this shout-out malarkey.
    And...slightly embarrassed now...but thats to everyone for the support!
    Adam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!